If atheism is a religion, then the off button in a TV is a channel.?

Atheism is not a religion, it is just a lack in faith. Everyone is atheistic in some way, you do not believe in Zeus.

Stop saying that, atheism is not a religion.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If atheism is a religion then

Not believing in Santa Claus is also a religion.

Unemployment is a job.

Not collecting stamps is a hobby.

Not playing tennis is a sport.

Abstinence is a sexual activity.

An empty bowl is a meal.

Silence is a noise.

Remaining silent is a speech.

Not fighting is an act of violence.

Bald is a hair colour.

Nudity is a costume.

Cleanliness is a stain.

Empty can be a content.

0km/h is a velocity.

0 g has a mass

0 is a positive number.

0 is a negative number.

Sanity is a mental illness.

Being dead is an illness.

Jewish humor is always self-praising.

Empty space is matter.

Clear is a colour.

Vacuum is a smell.

Anarchy is structured government

Not watching the Stupid Bowl makes you a fan of hockey.

Not watching the Stupid cup makes you a fan of boxing.

Not watching boxing matches makes you a fan of archery.

Having never cared much for politics, and having never read Mein Kampf, your lack of a criticism of that work makes you a Nazi.

Having never cared much for gender politics, your lack of criticism of traditional gender roles makes you a chauvinist.

"Nothing" can have a volume.

Darkness has a wavelength (see Discworld, where Dark is faster than Light because although Light is fast, Dark can always get out of its way in time).

Outer space is a planet.

"Nowhere" is a place.

"Nobody" is a person.

"Nobody" is a public office position.

"Nothing" is an object.

DC has a frequency.

A blank sheet of paper is the Communist Manifesto

A stone has an IQ

War is Peace

Freedom is Slavery

Ignorance is Strength (or knowledge)

Not kicking cats is animal abuse

Not doing drugs means you're an addict

• 9 years ago

Here is one way to look at it. If atheism is a religion then does that mean theism is a religion as well? If theism is a religion then muslims and christians and satanists are all a part of the same religion, theism.

Atheism and theism are not religions. The are terms used to describe a belief in a god or gods. A religion can be theistic or atheistic but these terms are not religions in of themselves.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

@ Kate: with all due respect, just because people get together, have meetings and discuss issues that are relevant to their group, you say that this makes their group interest a religion????? That would mean that gardening groups and cooking groups and political groups are all members of "religions" that are the gardening religion, the cooking religion and the politics religion???????????????? You may want to reconsider your answer. I am an atheist and religious people are damn well aware of the fact that it is really annoying for us to have atheism referred to as a religion. I am convinced that that is the MAIN reason that you guys do this, ie, to make us angry. Well, congratulations, you have successfully plssed me off. ATHEISM IS NOT A RELIGION, PERIOD AND END OF DISCUSSION. sheeeeeeeeeeeeeesh! Lady Morgana

• 9 years ago

It depends entirely on your definition of "religion".

Many atheists are forming organizations and developing hierarchy within those organizations. Though you may not be actively involved or agree with what they are doing, the hypocrisy is very evident. Many of the things atheist are arguing against (proselytizing, brainwashing, bigotry, etc.) they are guilty of practicing themselves. Incredible irony.

And who cares if someone calls it a "religion"? Though I don't consider my relationship with Christ "religious", I don't get all bent up out of shape when someone calls me "religious". The word has many different meanings.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

i've been browsing online more than 3 hours today seeking the answer to the same question, but I haven't found a more interesting debate like this. It is pretty worth enough for me.

• Tom C
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Religion is a belief system in a higher power than ourselves.

Atheism is a belief system that this higher power does not exist.

It is still a belief system system about the same subject. The fact that their view is opposite yours doesn't negate the fact that it's a religion.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Wrong, if Atheism is not a religion, then they would see no need (For any reason known to man) to have their own Church

Whats this then ?

http://firstchurchofatheism.com/

See the Similarities

http://carm.org/religion-of-atheism

• 9 years ago

The off button on a TV is a channel blocker.

The atheist is a God blocker.

Mind you, the off button is also the on button! So don't you atheists get too complacent! God might just decide to push your button!!!!

• 9 years ago

That's funny!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

yes, in the same way *not* smoking is a habit

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.