Did my cats know my other cat was sick?

A few months ago, I had three cats (don't make any cat lady comments) and they had coexisted peacefully for years, until the youngest, Gillie, got the girl, Tootsie, pregnant. A little before the pregnancy, the oldest, Dinkie, starting becoming really anxious. Then eventually he started isolating himself. and... show more A few months ago, I had three cats (don't make any cat lady comments) and they had coexisted peacefully for years, until the youngest, Gillie, got the girl, Tootsie, pregnant. A little before the pregnancy, the oldest, Dinkie, starting becoming really anxious. Then eventually he started isolating himself. and he wouldn't leave my mom's room. He started losing weight and the vet said it was nerves. About a few months later, we moved to Arizona, the younger two cats still separated from the oldest. By then Dinkie had lost most of his weight and hair. We took him to the vet multiple times and they kept insisting it was anxiety. When we got to Arizona we tried integrating them and all hell broke loose. Tootsie and Gillie literally tried to kill Dinkie. We had to keep him in my mom's new room for a few weeks until we decided to bring him out and try to keep the others upstairs. It was hard on them, but everytime the other two came downstairs, they attacked him and tried breaking his neck. It was horrible. Dinkie was getting any better, even though he was downstairs permanently away from the other two cats - which was bad for them, being locked upstairs. So we decided something had to change. We talked to many animal behavioral specialists and nothing worked. So my mom decided to get rid of Tootsie, because she decided she was the most aggressive - not true, but whatever. We tried integrating Dinkie and Gillie, the only two left, and Gillie kept trying to kill him. So we moved Gillie downstairs, and Dinkie up to my mom's room, where he continued to get sick. About 6 months after we moved to Arizona, he started getting really bad, and fast. One day, he couldn't move so we took him to the vet where she said Dinkie's kidneys were failing and that he had been sick for quite some time, and a week later he passed away. So my question is, did my cats sense he was sick? I vaguely remember something about how in the animal kingdom, that animals who sensed another animal is sick would not only shun them, but attack them. Of course I might have just made that up in my head when this was happening as a reason for all of this. It could still have been the pregnancy but things started happening before that

i know this is long so sorry
thanks
Update: And if they COULD tell, why would they attack him?
Update 2: And by getting "RID" of Tootsie, I meant we took her to the Humane Society. That sounded a bit harsh lol.