Do you agree? Yes or no? Why or why not?

“There is no human liberty, natural or constitutional, expressly guaranteed in the Constitution or traditionally viewed as belonging to all persons, that has not been nullified by the government in America. We are deluding ourselves if we really think that the government thinks that the so-called guarantees of freedoms are truly guarantees. They are not. They have been tolerated by American governments unless and until the governments feel threatened by them. Of course, a guarantee than can be suspended whenever those obligated on the guarantee no longer feel bound by it, is no guarantee whatsoever.”

- Judge Andrew Napolitano

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I agree. Yes

Why? I am also reading "It is Dangerous to Be Right When the Government is Wrong"

It's good enough that I may grab earlier books by same author.

And despite what one responder said, the freedoms/rights are ABSOLUTE as long as another person is not physically harmed or physically endangered...which is the reason why it is illegal to yell "fire" in a crowded movie house when there is no fire. However, yelling "fire" in a crowded movie house when there is a fire, is perfectly acceptable and probably wise.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Disagree. No right is absolute. Free speech doesn't mean you can stand outside someone's window at 4 AM and scream death threats. Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can sacrifice virgins. The freedom to contract doesn't extend to minors or the mentally incapacitated.

But... those freedoms are protected by the Constitution. If the government tried to place too many limitations on those freedoms there would be revolt.

• N
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Sadly, yes.

Our "rights" are nothing more than privileges we are allowed to have. Our freedoms are so fragile that they can be lost almost without notice.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.