Would you vote for the person mentioned in this article?

The campus' LGBT community are one of the most politically active groups here. Many of them can tell firsthand stories of discrimination and suffering. For the first time ever since the, the Gay-Straight Alliance, the campus LGBT support and political advocacy group, is represented in the Associated Students... show more The campus' LGBT community are one of the most politically active groups here. Many of them can tell firsthand stories of discrimination and suffering. For the first time ever since the, the Gay-Straight Alliance, the campus LGBT support and political advocacy group, is represented in the Associated Students Senate by a Republican. Senator Anthony Macias is one who adds the title Log Cabin to his party affiliation. His supporters love his libertarian brand of conservatism, but they can tell by the lively conversation that their club has that they're in the matter. "This constituency is highly Democratic." they admit. "I voted of him, even though I think he's too liberal, he's probably the best we could elected given the demographics here." The majority of his constituents; however, have different reservations about him. "I think he's too conservative." the club president says. "I'm glad that he's looking out for our money and making sure that we balance our budget, but I don't like it when he fights to limit a woman's right to choose, to bring guns to our campus, or students to opt-out of what are supposed to be mandatory LGBT history lesson. I'm also worried that 'fiscally responsible' will translate into a Nay vote for universal health care for all students beyond what basic the nursing office offers." Too see the kind of liberal activists that are among the leadership here is to see the Log Cabin dilemma firsthand. Despite, he elected and re-elected. "I think libertarian Log Cabin Republicans see their constituents more realistically than hardcore social conservatives. Ultimately, I think he remains popular because he advocates for LGBT rights in a pragmatic way. He works with his party leadership to change hearts and minds. He listens to their concerns and tries to address them while defending our rights at the same time. A liberal Democrat would just attack the other side, which would translate to getting nothing done given that the Republicans are in the majority" a supporter says.
3 answers 3