Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 8 years ago

Who made up the name Sunni?

Where did this come from?

I know it means following the Sunnah (or something) but who named us like that?

Yes I already know the meaning of the word.

But who named us this?!

Okay so I'm not getting answers so far (so don't think you answered).

• Best Answer

Sunnī (Classical Arabic: سُنِّي‎ /ˈsunniː/) is a broad term derived from sunnah (سُنَّة‎ /ˈsunna/, pl. سُنَن‎ sunan /ˈsunæn/), means "habit" or "usual practice"

The Muslim usage of this term refers to the sayings and living habits of Muhammad. In its full form, this branch of Islam is referred to as "Ahl al-Sunnah wa Jama'ah" (literally, "People of the Sunan and the Community"). People claiming to follow the Sunnah who can demonstrate that they have no action or belief against the Prophetic Sunnah can consider themselves to be Sunni Muslims.

>>The Holy Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) has proclaimed: "Whoever abandons the Sunnah will not obtain my intercession."

The expression "Ahl al-Sunna" is reported from Ibn `Abbas and Ibn `Umar by al-Lalika'i in Sharh Usul I`tiqad Ahl al-Sunna; Muslim narrates it from Muhammad ibn Sirin in the Muqaddima to his Sahih; and al-Darimi in his Musnad from al-Hasan al-Basri. This is not to mention the Mujtahid Imams and those of the generation-layer immediately preceding them.

I could look up al-Suyuti's compilation Miftah al-Janna fi al-Ihtijaj bis- Sunna and the late Dr. `Abd al-Khaliq Abd al-Ghani's Hujjiyyat al-Sunna for more reports, but this is probably enough to put to rest the false assumption that the expression was unknown in the early days of Islam

""Hold on to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the Rightly Guided Caliphs after me. Hold on to it firmly.

Reported by Ahmad Ibn Hanbal Abu Dawud, at-Tirmidhi who said it is a good and sound hadith, and Ibn Majah)

Hold fast to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the Rightly Guided Caliphs.

(Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman and Ali (may Allah be pleased with them).

Clamp your molars upon it, avoid new novelties, for every novelty is an innovation, and every innovation is misguidance.

Sahih Hadith recorded in (no. 4590), Sunan al-Tirmidhi (5/43, no. 2676), Sunan Ibn Majah (1/15-6, no. 42), Sunan al-Darimi (no. 96), Ibn Abi Aasim in al-Sunnah (no. 54), Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal in his Musnad (4/126), al-Hakim in al-Mustadrak (1/95-6) and Ibn Hibban in his Sahih (1/166, no. 5).

Allah will never let my Ummah agree upon misguidance, and the hand of Allah is over the group (Jama'ah), so follow the great mass of believers (Sawad ul-'Azam), and whoever dissents from them departs to hell.

A narration authenticated and reported by al-Hakim (1/116), and al-Dhahabi agreed with him. A very similar report has been recorded by al-Tirmidhi (4/2167). Imam al-Munawi said in commentary to Tirmidhi's Hadith:

(Allah's hand is over the Jama'ah)

meaning his protection and preservation of them, signifying that the collectivity of the people of Islam are in Allah's fold, so be also in Allah's shelter, in the midst of them, and do not separate yourselves from them. (And whoever descents from them departs to hell) meaning that whoever diverges from the overwhelming majority concerning what is lawful or unlawful and on which the Community does not differ has slipped off the path of guidance and this will lead him to hell. (see Imam al-Azizi's: al-Siraj al-Munir Sharh al-Jami us-Saghir, 3/449, cf. Reliance of the Traveller, p. 25).

. Fa`tasimu bi hablillahi jami`an wa la tafarraqu

"Hold fast to the rope of Allah, all of you, and do not split into factions" (3:103).

and many more ahadith which command the following of the sunnah:

Note:

We have not forsaken our title, i.e Muslims, we are still known as Muslims, but, in order to dissociate from deviant sects attributed to Islam.

Indeed shia'ism, qadianism,quranism, etc are DEVIANT ways NOT leading to jannah.

As mentioned in the Quran, “He who obeys the Messenger has indeed obeyed Allah…” [4:80] so sunni is indeed what Quran wants every Muslim to be, i.e the follower of the sunnah (the way) of the Prophet (peace be upon him)

Source(s): @Islam n FK Cool it sisters. Don't do any takfir here! Hate is incited by Satan. Don't fall for his lies. If you need to guide someone to the truth, use the hikmah of quran wa sahih hadith. QURAN TELLS US “ASK THEM THOSE WHO KNOW” ALL THE SCHOLRS IN THIS UMMAH ARE FROM THE MAIN BODY OF MUSLIM UMMAH AND THEY HAVE CALLED IT AHLUS SUNNAH WAL JAMAH!.

ok I'll tell you. It was in the time of the Companions.

When the prophet (PBUH) died, the enemies from within came to cause confusion and to make Islam weaker.

those who separated from the the main branch of Islam, called themselves Shia. So the remainder called them selves Sunni ie one who follows the Sunnah.

So this was the first break down and the creation of the sect.

I'll try to get you a link. Please remind me.

The user Islam is speaking the truth.

Sunna refers to the strict following of the teachings and actions of Muhammad as recorded in the religious texts called hadiths

Source(s): AP World History class

I heard, Sunni and Shia Muslim got divided when our prophet died. After he died, Shia Muslim said, they believe in Ali, and Sunni Muslim said, our prophet is the last prophet in Islam.

Sahar is right..

@ user with islam display...

only Shias and qadianis deny that and try to pass them off as "just muslims"... I have a feeling that you are one of them, LOL

Also, Shias and Qadians don't have the right to use the word "Islam" on their display. That is offensive to the Muslims ( aka Sunnis)

It is an innovation in Islam.

Muhammad (saw) was not a "sunni" and neither am I.

--

@FK, if you want to follow an innovation, then go ahead and call yourself sunni, not my problem. I follow the prophet, not misguided people. You have a feeling that I am shia or qadiani, the people you consider kaffirs? When someone wrongly calls someone a kaffir, the sin is incurred on them they join the ranks of the kaffirs, so please go ahead and call me a kaffir then, I dare you.

no one made that sect up.

we just say sunni so people dont think were shia or something

sunnah jus means following the path of something...so its not wrong to call our self this.

i myself prefer "Muslim" waaaaaay better but theres diff sects. so i have to b more clear.

its just a word -_- wat do u mean "who made it up?"

idk who the exact person is but we called our self

"ahal al sunnah wal jama3a"

dont know exactly who made it up sorry =P

• Noor

The one who made up the language "ARABIC" lol!!

• Arqam

sheas