Sol
Sol asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastIsrael · 9 years ago

Do you have more respect for Israel after the israeli court convicted Moshe Katsav of rape and sentenced him?

to 7 years in jail.

Since this shows that Israel doesn't let anyone get away with breaking the law even if the guy who did the crime is the president of Israel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moshe_Katsav#Rape_and...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/08/world/middleeast...

• BMCR
    Favorite Answer

I consider that statement condescending.

For someone who is pro Israel (like myself), that would be obvious.

For someone who is anti Israel, they really don't care (or worse, turn it around and define it as an anti Israel talking point).

Israeli courts, especially its High Court, is the last thing in Israel that deserves respect.

Let´sputit clear: there was not any rape.

I am very suspicious when all of a sudden all the media start to form the public opinion against someone - or in favur of someone. So, amidst the public outcry of "crucify the dirty rapist Kazav", I read the materials of the sessions of the court, including those the media prefered not to publish

( but to get them does not consitute any problem for anyone).

"Alef" changed her testimonials various times and finally admitted that there was no rape and that actually, she agreed to have sex because she thought this would help her in her professional carrier.

"Alef" blackmailed Kazav, demanding of him a big amount of money for silence. When he refused, she sued him. Is this what you would call the behaviour of the innocent victim of the rape?

All the episodes happened in the 90s. How can any court prove a rape that happened 15 years ago?

"Alef" said she was raped twice. First time it happened in the office. And the second time it happened when Kazav invited her to come to the hotel in Jerusalem where he rented a suite. She says that when Kazav opened the door, he had no pants on. What would any woman, especially a woman who was already raped once by this same man, do? Correct, she would turn - and walk away. What did "Alef" do? She nicely smiled, entered the room, went to the bed - and calmly sat on it. And she stayed there for at least two hours without ever trying to sream or call for help.

The court dismissed all these - and many more- facts, it also dismissed the statement by the General Prosecutor who said the testimonials by "Alef" do not deserve any credibility. The court made the sentence to please some very influential figures in Israel, first of all - the biggest s.o.b. among the Israeli politicians- Shimon Peres, famous in Israel over his "girls" but immune to any prosecution. Is this something for which you offer me to respect Israeli court?

Kazav used his position to have sex with a nice and pretty woman. And this woman used her beauty and youth to make her carrier. Kazav is not an angel? I agree, he is not.

And "Alef" is a saint.

Edit: Short and sweet, there were - all of a sudden- other women accusing Kazav. But not a single one accused him of rape. Invitations to have a supper, casual embraces...yes. But- that is all. Let´s send to jail for 7 years any man who invites a girl to have a supper or pats a girl below the waist?

Sam: That's not all. In Israel, the President is a largely ceremonial post, and his only power is to pardon prisoners. The Prime Minister holds all other executive powers. Right now, former Prime Minister Ehud Olmert is on trial for multiple counts of corruption and breach of trust. He could go to prison for years if convicted. That case has actually provoked respect among Arabs for Israel (Arab leaders are notoriously corrupt).

Sameer: Before preaching to us, have the Palestinian Authority investigate the notoriously corrupt Palestinian leaders who stole millions in international aid to fund their lavish lifestyle at the expense of their people.

Yes.

In many countries, this wouldn't even see the light of day. Israel might have somewhat of a corrupt government (though, that describes ALL governments), but I'm glad it's clean enough so that Katsav couldn't cover it up forever.

I shall respect Israeli courts onl when they stop kissing arab a$$, sentencing the demolishing of the Jewish houses in Judea but doing absolutely nothing about 270,000 illegal arab buildings there.

And to sentence the guy to 7 years in jail for the "rape" he never committed, because Peres wanted to clean the road to Presidency does not seem to me something that deserves respect.

• Marian

More for sure. Although his sentence wasn't 1/2 enough.

And I don't care for the special privileges granted to religious Jews in prison.

By the way, normally rapists go to much tougher higher security prisons than he did. He went to a white collar crime prison, where occasionally prisoners who have behaved well can serve out the end of their sentences. Normally rapists are not sent there.

• Kevin7

Yes a fair trial was conducted he was found guilty.His job or social position has no role in the court decision.

No i don't. I would've respected them if they put him in jail when he was a president, not now! Otherwise what's the difference between Israel and Egypt?

Why is that so significant? Its not like every rapist roams freely in Israel, every rapist, murderer and thief is put in jail, just like any other country.

I had more respect for Israel long before that.