why kimber cables are expensive I have just bought jbl 180 series tower speaker and ı use cheap cable?

do you think cable is very important ? also if you have any idea of jbl you may tell .

• Maniac

I don't believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or Expensive cables. I have no interest in Kimber cables but I do like my Kimber 1911:-) There is no "real" science in those expensive cables, other than the science of marketing. If a cable makes a difference, the cable is wrong. The cables job is to transfer the power to the speaker without changing it so if a particular cable sounds brighter or more laid back or what ever, the cable is wrong. Properly sized standard copper cable will be neutral without any manipulation that may be found in some of the high dollar cables.

On the other hand, if you can imagine in your mind that the more expensive cables sound better then maybe to you it's worth it even if it isn't real. There are those that truly believe these cables make a huge difference and that's great for them but I personally have never been able to support this through listening test and definitely not through any scientific measurement. Amplifiers and other electronics can create issues that can be very audible, speakers can create differences that are even more audible, there simply isn't much a cable can do to create a huge difference at least in short cable runs. Very long runs or long cables coiled up will make a difference but the solution isn't specialty cables, it's just using the proper size and separation between the two conductors.

mk

Read this article from the Audio Critic ( http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_issues/The_Audi... ).

In general, cables do not matter. 10% budget for cables is way too high. What matters is getting a decently built and adequately shielded cable (more for making sure it stays together and connected) and keeping the lengths to the minimum (so as not to either present too much resistance to the amp or to minimize any noise pickup).

You can get cables from monoprice.com that sound just as good as Kimber cables (may not look as nice). Or Blue Jeans Cable ( http://www.bluejeanscable.com/ ) makes some attractive ones and decent prices.

Had to update to disagree with Kevin below. People who sell high end audio equipment need to believe there is a difference in cables. They make much of their profit on them. Any test where the results were objective ( measured, double blind, etc.) and not subjective, there hasn't been shown ANY real difference in cables. Cables aren't "warmer" or "more open" than others. A $300 power cord isn't going to make a system any quieter (unless it had a pathetic power supply to begin with). It's my pet peeve that there folks out there willing to talk about cable directionality or sell you voodoo.

Source(s): Audio background over 30 years.

Sorry this is probably going to upset allot of people on here but this is a subject I have spent my life learning and perfecting getting the most from music and film.

I'm sorry this is a subject that bothers me allot, as there are many people making statements about certain aspects of sound systems that they really don't know what they are talking about.

First off, cables "Do" make a difference with out a doubt, and no it doesn't have to be a mega dollar system for "anyone" to hear the differences. But there are some things to consider before going out and buying cables.

There is a difference in "ALL" cables,(including digital and video cables) but high price does not guarantee you better performance.

Many of the chain stores carry higher price cables, but honestly there are very few if any at these stores worth the investment. Although I have seen Audioquest and Magnolia which is a decent brand of cables.

First you must consider the system, weather its a surround system, or a music system. In surround sound systems, sure spending allot of money on cables to hear a crash or explosion with greater detail may not be logical investment, For some it may, but the true sonic benefits would be with music, the choice in the right cables can enable you to hear instruments and vocals with greater clarity, better tonality, more open sounding, and more convincing of a live performance.

All cables have there own sonic signature so its important to buy the right cables that will complement the overall sound of the system. Anyone can hear these differences so you don't have to have ultra trained ears, so the key is understanding that cables do make a difference, and to look at them as a component and not just cables. They can make a huge difference in the overall sound of a sound system. The better cables can also only be purchased at your local independent high end audio dealers as the manufactures understand that it takes someone who can properly setup a audio or video system so you can hear and see these differences.

As far as Kimber cable goes, they have been around for a long time, they are just ok, not my favorite cables but again on the right system they might be the perfect match. They dent to have a bit of a up front sound to them (meaning that they make sounds project more giving a slightly aggressive presentation) They don't have allot of finesse and delicacy, so on some speakers like a jbl or a klipsch would not a be my recommendation.

My favorite cables to date are still from Aural Symphonic's out of Arizona they are in the upper middle price range of cables, are certainly more adaptive to Tube electronics, but again it depends on the speakers and equipment.

Then there's cables like MIT where there warmer more layed back sounding which works great on many solid state audio systems, but they are generally very expensive. There are however cable manufactures in the more budget price range that can give you similar sonic quality's that would complement the right system.

So anyone looking to get the best sound from a system should get recommendations of cables for certain types of system ether by the high end stores that carry better cables or the better trade magazines like Absolute Sound, Perfect Vision, and Sterophile.

But for anyone to say cables make no difference and to just buy the cheap stuff at Home depot or Radio shack sorry you need to go to a high end audio store and experience what high quality sound is all about.

The key here in these forums is that we are trying to help those trying to get the best sound or video possible and without the right information they cannot achieve a deeper connection and involvement to the performance.

Kevin

40 years high end audio video specialist

There is a lot of "junk science" used to sell expensive cables.

Cables DO matter but you have to have some fairly high-end, sensitive speakers (Like $4,000 Martin Logan electrostatics) to be able to tell the difference between one cable or the other.

Here is a general rule to avoid over-paying for hookup wires:

"Budget 10% of the cost of the 2 devices you are hooking up for the connecting cables."

This should be considered the upper limit you should pay.

Example: AV Receiver - $400. 5.1 speaker set - $500 = $900 total.

So the maximum I should spend for the speaker wires should be $90.

Hope this helps.

You do not need to spend a lot on speaker cables - normal 12 or 14 gauge speaker wire from Home Depot will sound the same despite what the Kimber ads tell you.

If it makes you feel better to spend the money, go for it!!

Source(s): audio engineer