Eric
Eric asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 8 years ago

A serious question about the "princessy" girl names that are currently popular?

Now, first of all, I am not trying to offend anybody. I am not saying these are bad names, I just want some opinions.

I can understand why people love names like Isabella, Sophia, Victoria and Arabella (just to name a few), but when I think of these names on a little girl, I can't help but think of a snotty little brat. Think Veruca Salt from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (here's a link if you've never seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyH0ul-Jk7E

Youtube thumbnail

)

So anyway, I'm just wanting some other opinions. How do you feel when you see a little girl with one of these princessy names? It's quite alright to disagree or to agree. I'm looking for complete honesty.

Thanks for all of your answers so far, although I must say I'm surprised at how many are saying that names like Victoria and Isabella don't sound like "princessy" names, considering that these were the names of queens/princesses of the past and present. They sound quite princess-like to me.

Favorite Answer

Yes, well, while some of those names tend to be overly-frilly and such, think about this:

Would you prefer girly names on girls, or boy names on girls?

That single question is honestly how I cope with names like Seraphina and such. Because I'd FAR prefer princessy names than boy names like Elliott, Charlie, Noah, Jamie, Hayden, Emerson being slapped on innocent little girls. It's what keeps me from going completely insane...

p.s - Names like Victoria and Isabelle are so grossly over-popular at this point that, to most people, they've lost the regal appeal they once possessed. Hence why your average Joe will adamantly state that there are no princessy qualities to be found. Kind of like Alexander with boys, you know? It used to be special and high-and-might but, with it being used as a filler name for hundreds upon thousands of little boys every day - the amazing quality has worn off.

My moms name is Victoria, she was born in England and named after the queen Victoria :) I really don't find Sophia or Arabella as princessy names but I absolutely hate the name Isabella (no offense to any one with the name)

I can tell these names aren't your style at all, which is fine, but I think you are being entirely too harsh on them.

I think Isabella, Sophia and Arabella are very elegant and feminine names; Victoria seems like more of a classic, like Jane (Jane has also been the name of a queen in the past, if that's your criteria, yet most people would not sound Jane was "princessy"). They are certainly middle-class sort of names.

Even the bratty Veruca Salt was not given a "princessy name" - she was given a made-up name that sounds a bit like a normal name (Veronica), perhaps indicating the author's belief that it was ill-educated yet aspirational parents who were were more likely to have bratty children.

I don't make any judgments about a child's personality based on their name. The only problem i have with names like Sophia and Victoria are that they are so so so overused. Although i do have to admit i like the name Isabella (and just for the record i do NOT like it because of twilight ) and Arabella reminds me more of a southern bell than a princess name. Maybe because it reminds me of the word antebellum which means existing before the war (usually referring to the American civil war) It makes me think of those really awesome antebellum houses.

Although some of these name have been and are currently in use by Queens and Princesses, I see absolutely nothing wrong with using them. The name of a little girl has no bearing on her behavior; that is solely based on upbringing. So as long as these parents understand that their "Little Princesses" are not Royalty and do not allow them to go by a different set of standards/behaviors, which are deemed inappropriate by the majority of people in that culture/society, then the child should not grow up to be a snot or spoiled.

Honestly, none of those strike me as "princessy" because they are so commonplace. I think princessy names would be more like:

Blair

Sloane

Blakely

Trixie

In other words, names that seem like they are trying too hard to be "unique" and "sophisticated" without being either.

However, that doesnt mean I'm going to judge a child by that name. I'll definitely judge the parents, but the child could end up being incredibly sweet, really boyish, etc. It wouldnt be fair to just look at her name and say "oh she's going to be one of THOSE girls"

*edit*

To Pink:

Actually, Isabella and it's variants were trending before Twilight was a fad. Sure, Twilight probably helped push it to the first place spot, but it has been in the top 10 since 2004, a year before Twilight was even published.

*edit*

To OP:

I understand that Victoria and Isabelle are names of royalty, but that doesnt mean they're princessy names. Your definition of the term princessy is someone who is bratty. Therefore, you mean it in a different context. I was going based on the context of the term, not whether a princess/queen has had that name.

I don't mind some of the names, but names like Arabella are a syllable too far to me. Names like these were once reserved for nobility and royalty. Unfortunately, many people think the longer the name the more educated and wealthy the family. While I'm not in favor of weak names, there has to be some sense of balance.

One of the most unfortunate things is the combination names that become combos, like Sophiana Marietta. It sounds like Sophie Anna Mary Etta. Except for those who have multiple middle names. Then it might be Sophiana Marietta Carolyn - or Sophie Anna Mary Etta Carol Lynne.

Thanks for sharing the video clip; I hadn't seen it before.

~ Don’t sweat the small stuff ~ Enjoy 2012 ~

They sound a bit pretentious to me, like the family was trying to sound upper class, ( think real housewives, lol)

But then again, those type of Uber-girlie names are not my style at all.

While I happen to know a young spoiled Victoria, I am sure for every spoiled one there are a dozen or more lovely Victorias I don't know. And if/when I meet them, I won't prejudge them by their name.

• I personally don't consider any of those names to be "princessy". Nor do I think of a brat with any of these names. They are strong, beautiful names in my opinion. Names don't make the personality, the person makes the personality....

Have you had a bad experience with a snotty girl with a similar, traditional name to make you think that way?

Josh

Name by association can ruin a name,Like Victoria-when I hear of that name I go straight away and think of Victoria Beckham-my idea of her is less than prissy.

So some names can turn you Off them if it makes you think of someone who you can't particularly like or stand.

Some names such as: Lindsay,Heidi and Kristy ate names I dislike due to the people who come to mind and ruin the name due to what they represent.