How long will it take me to go en pointe?

Okay, here's the deal. When I was about 3 1/2 years old, I started taking tap, jazz, and ballet classes. I took them up to the end of 4th grade, but I had to move. Because I moved, I switched to a studio that was more expensive, so I continued ballet, dropped jazz and tap, and started hip hop. I stayed with that studio for about 2 years and I quit dance all together when I was around 11-12 (about 6th grade). So overall, I took dance for about 8 years. I am now 15 1/2 years old (sophomore) and my mom agreed to let me start taking ballet again. It's always been my dream to go en pointe, and I'm wondering how long it will take to go en pointe considering my past dance experience.

Sorry for this being so long.. haha.

Thank you!!!

Before I moved, my dance teacher said she wanted to put me en pointe a year earlier than all the other girls at only 9-10 years old. She said I had superior talent for my age.

Favorite Answer

Going en pointe at 9 or 10 has nothing to do with your superior talent. It has to do with poor teaching. The bones in the feet of a 9 or 10 year old has not ossified yet and cannot hold the weight of your body en pointe without doing damage to your feet. I am glad to hear that you didn't do this and left that teacher. You were saved permanente foot damage.

You really can't consider your past dance experience. Because you haven't danced ballet since you were 11 or 12, you are starting from square one almost. Your body has changed and your muscle memory has gone even if you remember much of the technique in your head. You can figure about three years of three 90 minute classes a week to be ready for pointe work IF you have a good teacher. If you have a poor one, you could be up sooner, but I don't recommend it.

I also suggest you start in a teen beginner ballet class after so long off. Even dancers who dance professionally in the ballet and who come back from an injury after being out for a year, start back in advanced beginner classes. Just because you start in a beginner class, doesn't mean you will stay there for all that long. But you really need to do this, if you are serious about getting strong enough technique to go en pointe one day. Going into a more advanced class to start would just really keep you from getting back what you need to be successful.

Source(s): My daughter is a professional dancer. I worked for NYCB (New York City Ballet)
  • Jenn

That sort of depends on how strong a dancer you are and would likely be up to your teacher's discretion. So, work really hard on your technique and your strength (legs, feet, abs) and it probably won't be long. I started dancing en pointe at 16 (late bloomer from the gymnastics world) so I know it can be frustrating to see those 12-year-olds clomping around in their new pointe shoes. If you want it, you can make it happen. Oh, and let your teacher know that it's your intention to eventually dance en pointe. That way he/she can help you toward that goal.

• A.L.

It will still take at least 2-3 years. It's recommended to have three consecutive years of ballet before starting pointe. Since you have't danced since you were 12, you have lost some strength in your feet and leg muscles. You may also need to retrain your turnout muscles, and brush up on technique.

• dilks

My dance instructor made particular each and each woman in my classification outfitted sturdy leg, calf, ankle, or maybe our top body muscular tissues earlier lets pass onto pointe. yet I definitely does no longer know how lengthy precisely, because I took ballet considering the fact that i became 3, and that i began pointe even as i became 12. So i ought to likely ask the instructors, because they is often conscious of what's purely properly. and hear what they allow you to know! because the purely properly ingredient you want to do is have an damage from a timber shoe.. heh Pointe shoes, even with the indisputable fact that do not are available in generic shoe sizes you position on ordinary. You get measured for them, and sure they're tight and uncomfortable. as an social gathering, I positioned on a length 8 in generic shoes, yet a 5 3/4 in pointe shoes. yet when your heart is amazingly set out for this, I say pass for it :) Minus the aching calves and ft with blisters, i love it.

What does your teacher say? It is largely about preparation, and physical readiness. How's your balance and strength? It could take a year or so, but if you're strong and your balance, placement and form are good, it could come faster. Your teacher is in the best position to give you that time-frame. Ask her what you need to do so that you can go on point, sooner rather than later.

Source(s): Former dancer, choreographer