Five Star Promotions in the U.S. Armed Forces during WW II ~ Politically based?

Listed in order by date of promotion they were: 15 December 1944 ~ Admiral William Leahy 16 December 1944 ~ General George C. Marshall 17 December 1944 ~ Admiral Ernest King 18 December 1944 ~ General Douglas MacArthur 19 December 1944 ~ Admiral Chester W. Nimitz 20 December 1944 ~ General Dwight D.... show more Listed in order by date of promotion they were:

15 December 1944 ~ Admiral William Leahy
16 December 1944 ~ General George C. Marshall
17 December 1944 ~ Admiral Ernest King
18 December 1944 ~ General Douglas MacArthur
19 December 1944 ~ Admiral Chester W. Nimitz
20 December 1944 ~ General Dwight D. Eisenhower
21 December 1944 ~ General Henry H. “Hap” Arnold (USAAF)

For good measure I’ll include:

7 May 1949 ~ General Henry H. “Hap” Arnold (USAF and only person to receive the promotion twice); and,
22 September 1950 ~ General Omar Bradley

BQ: What's your thought? Political or just coincidental?
Update: Lomax ~ I Thumb Down no person to Questions I ask (as I am certain you know) so that was not me by the way. This is the first I heard of the "Field Marshal Marshall"...LOL! I am aware of the "General of the Armies" a 6th star rank that was discussed in the 1950s and offered to MacArthur and to... show more Lomax ~ I Thumb Down no person to Questions I ask (as I am certain you know) so that was not me by the way. This is the first I heard of the "Field Marshal Marshall"...LOL! I am aware of the "General of the Armies" a 6th star rank that was discussed in the 1950s and offered to MacArthur and to Marshal that was turned down due to impending taxes and reduced retirement pay. I will do some digging on this later...thank you for the update. You pose an interesting view of Britain and Germany....comes to make me think what the Imperial Dai Nippon did...hmmm. Thank you!
Update 2: Sirad ~ thanks for the perspective. I am a fan and believer in Lord Mountbatten and will pose a raised eyebrow merely because he was invaluable in the Commonwealth War in the Pacific. However, I certainly do not disagree with you on this point either. I will state that General Marshall was in the best location at... show more Sirad ~ thanks for the perspective. I am a fan and believer in Lord Mountbatten and will pose a raised eyebrow merely because he was invaluable in the Commonwealth War in the Pacific. However, I certainly do not disagree with you on this point either. I will state that General Marshall was in the best location at the time of the war and that to me I find that General Frank M. Andrews would have been the Supreme Commander had he not been killed in that landing in Iceland in 1943 during a routine inspection. I like your answer as well.
Update 3: Kelly ~ I like the answer and interesting as well. Patton would have received the 5th Star eventually and would have done so ahead of Bradley ~ I believe this to be fact and there are critics out there that will argue otherwise. Mark Clark would never be promoted to the 5th Star because of the Congressional... show more Kelly ~ I like the answer and interesting as well. Patton would have received the 5th Star eventually and would have done so ahead of Bradley ~ I believe this to be fact and there are critics out there that will argue otherwise. Mark Clark would never be promoted to the 5th Star because of the Congressional Inquiry requested by the 36th National Guard Unit that made the request as a result of his (Clark's) bungling of the Gustav Line and Italian Campaign. "Marcus Aurelius Clarkus" was not a compliment ~ he would be exonerated in 1946 but the DOD could never promote a person to the 5th Star who had this on his record. Obscurity? Yes, however did you see who he was married too and what she did for him? Came down to Ike v Clark(us) and Ike gets the nod and Clark would be forever bitter even though he would be the signatory on the "Truce" in Korea. I like your answer...Clark(us') wife is the one that made him with her very detailed behind the scenes abilit
Update 4: Political context to Q: I was more going along the line of Navy, Army, Navy promotion ~ notice this on the list above? MacArthur is "under" Admiral King and they both split the Pacific Theater..."Intentional"? "Political"? Well, you be the judge and tell me. ;)
Update 5: Kelly ~ I forgot that Clark was Jewish and maybe this had a take on his early career but his abilities spoke for themselves. He had the character though of being jealous; so much so that he was upset that the Liberation of Rome only got 1 days press as the next day was 6 June 1944 and we all know what happens... show more Kelly ~ I forgot that Clark was Jewish and maybe this had a take on his early career but his abilities spoke for themselves. He had the character though of being jealous; so much so that he was upset that the Liberation of Rome only got 1 days press as the next day was 6 June 1944 and we all know what happens there. Still, the slaughter at the Gustav Line was completely avoidable; still, he was "Jewish" in a time that was not favorable to Jews or to African Americans.
Update 6: Lomax ~ still controversy over the Pershing title though no disagreements in "meaning". As you know here in the USA no General could ever be allowed to outrank Washington and people I know want nothing of a Pershing even near Washington' status. Good point you make however. By the way the USA had one... show more Lomax ~ still controversy over the Pershing title though no disagreements in "meaning". As you know here in the USA no General could ever be allowed to outrank Washington and people I know want nothing of a Pershing even near Washington' status. Good point you make however. By the way the USA had one Field Marshal in MacArthur as I recall he was so appointed by Philippine President Manuel Luis Quezón y Molina. Well, never one officially from the US Dept of War or DOD mind you but still....
Update 7: DeSaxe ~ it does make the Chain of Command sort of "sinque" doesn't it? Defining points of embarkation. Trying to think of Admiral "Bull" Halsey???? Didn't he get a 5th? I may have missed one...ooopps. Will check later....liked the Private to General analogy btw. LOL!
Update 8: Mod ~ thanks for the answer and I would say "yes" but this is also rather strategically placed per theater of war; the point is for dialogue of thinking for particular reasons as to why this list looks as though it does for the time frame. MacArthur graduated West Point after Marshall; but, Marshall... show more Mod ~ thanks for the answer and I would say "yes" but this is also rather strategically placed per theater of war; the point is for dialogue of thinking for particular reasons as to why this list looks as though it does for the time frame. MacArthur graduated West Point after Marshall; but, Marshall graduated in 1901 from VMI not Westpoint. In a time where Academy appointees/graduates received the promotions before "outsiders" this sort of stands out no? Leahy would graduate the Navy Academy in 1897 and King in 1901 ~ looks as though it was a "year of graduation date that set the tone" moreso than "where from" but for this time frame still "odd". Thanks.
Update 9: Tim D ~ thanks for showing. Dialogue and new information always appreciated.
Update 10: Add:

11 December, 1945 ~ Admiral William "Bull" Halsey, Jr. to the list above. Can't believe I missed this one. He skipped one rank from Captain moving straight to Rear Admiral Upper Half (2 stars).