?
? asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSTDs · 9 years ago

Does hpv really go away?

My boyfriend had a wart for the first time last February. He had another last March and hasn't had any since. He was diagnosed with a low risk strain of hpv.

I haven't been immunized against hpv, but we've used condoms and I have never tested positive or had a wart.

Hpv has ruined our relationship. He has all but stopped having sex with me because he hates using condoms now and that has caused a host of other issues. He joined some hpv newsletter thing and did a lot of reading up on it after being diagnosed and he thinks that since he hasn't had an outbreak for about a year, he is cleared of the virus and can't pass it to me. I keep finding conflicting information on this.

Does anyone know anything about whether hpv can be cleared from a person's body? Also, I may just spend money I can't afford to get immunized as a last ditched effort to save things. Is there a big contraindication for someone getting the immunization at 31 years old?

Yes, they were genital wart, we have never had unprotected sex, but now I am wondering if we can whether or not I get the shot.

Favorite Answer

I'm going to presume you're referring to a genital wart on your boyfriend and genital HPV strains in general.

Genital HPV can, in fact, be cleared from your body, and most are, making it the sexually transmitted disease of highest incidence. This may or may not have been the case with your boyfriend. The virus may have merely been suppressed. Likewise, you may or may not have had the virus passed on to you if you weren't using condoms at the time of his carrier status. Most infections are asymptomatic, and you may have either cleared the virus or suppressed it below detectable levels, should you be tested now.

There isn't a strong contraindication for the Gardasil shot after 26 years old, but most sexually active females will have already been exposed to the strains the shot protects against, and either have the infection or natural immunity. Still, if you wish to be completely sure, I'm sure your physician wouldn't refuse it.

Source(s): Medical school

Yes, the body does build immunity to the HPV type or types you carry. You and your partner share the same HPV type so you can't get that same type again. You and your partner will not ping pong the virus back and forth. Condoms help the body with this immunity. Condoms do not prevent the transmission of the virus. Building immunity doesn't mean the virus has 'cleared, eliminated or gone away'. No researcher or doctor can guarantee that the virus is gone...because the virus can go from a latent to an expressed state with no new sex partner.

Gardasil prevents 4 genital HPV types 6,11,16 and 18, it does not prevent all 40 genital HPV types. The vaccine can't prevent HPV types you have already been exposed to. The vaccine is given to men and females until age 26 after this age the vaccine hasn't been as effective.

Your partner was diagnosed with genital warts which are low risk HPV type. Most visible genital warts are low risk HPV type 6 or 11. Some people that carry HPV types 6 and 11 do carry other HPV types. HPV specific type testing is seldom done. The only way doctors can diagnosis genital warts is by seeing one.

You may or may not carry other HPV types. A Pap test looks for abnormal cells of the cervix. A Pap test never collects any external cells for our Pap test. An HPV test is standard of care for the woman over 30. If your HPV test is positive it means you also carry high risk HPV types. High risk HPV types are very common and most do build immunity to these HPV types in time. Pap testing and HPV test are very important because they allow our doctor to see any cell changes of the cervix. The monitor our cervix and if the cell changes persist or progress they can recommend a treat to remove these cell changes preventing most all cervical cancers. Our Pap test and our HPV tests are screening test for the cervix. The Pap or HPV test will not diagnosis external genital wart.

the virus can move from latency to "expressed" HPV disease such as warts or cervical cell changes, it is not possible to guarantee that the individual will remain non-contagious indefinitely. The possibility of latency also means that clinicians cannot define who has cleared all virus, and women with latent infection may develop subclinical or clinical HPV infections as they age -- without contracting HPV from a new partner.

When one partner has HPV lesions caused by a particular virus type, it is most likely that the other partner shares the same virus type, although this is often impossible to prove. Several studies indicate that "shared HPV" does not "ping-pong" back and forth. There is evidence that using condoms may decrease the viral exposure and speed the clearance of HPV related disease. The decreased viral load may allow the individual's own immune system a better chance of eliminating the virus.

Once no further HPV lesions can be detected by clinical exam, and no new lesions have appeared over several subsequent months, the chance of shedding enough HPV to be contagious dramatically falls. While it is impossible to tell anyone exactly when they have little-to-no chance of passing HPV to a partner, as months go by with no lesions found (especially if none are found by a skilled clinician), the possibility of being contagious becomes increasingly remote.

The inability to be 100% sure that an individual with a history of an HPV infection is no longer contagious should encourage honesty whenever a new relationship begins. This should be balanced with the fact that most people are exposed to this virus during their life, and that, for most, this virus does not usually cause great harm.

I was diagnosed with high risk HPV of the vaginal cuff in 1999. In 2002 I was diagnosed with high risk HPV types of the vulva CIS. I have sent spent years talking to the medical professional and had the opportunity to speak leaders in HPV research. I have a large network of women with the virus where we share information…some of these women have also had the opportunity to be treated through some of the leading groups doing research. The links I have provided are of sources that are used and deemed accurate. However as time goes on this information may change. I have seen the scope of HPV information change over the years as more information surfaces.

HPV is really only a bump in the road of life. It should never come between two people that love each other.

I will you and your partner well.

Source(s): http://www.asccp.org/PracticeManagement/HPV/Natura... Available therapies for genital warts likely reduce, but probably do not eradicate, HPV infectivity. Whether the reduction in HPV viral DNA resulting from treatment reduces future transmission remains unclear. http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/2010/genital-wart...