Daniel asked in SportsCycling · 8 years ago

Will changing my knobby tired on my mountain bike and getting road slick make it faster & how much difference?

And no i dont care for road bike nice but i like mountain bike i use it for here and there

Best Answer

It will make the cycle faster, probably by about 2 MPH.

I have an MTB based hybrid with slick tyres, but I put off road tyres on in the winter when there is a possibility of snow.

I use a Garmin on all of my rides, and the cycle is usually about 2 MPH slower over the same routes with the knobbly tyres on.

You'll also get better grip on road surfaces with slicks, as there will be more rubber in contact with the road surface.

Get reasonable quality tyres that can be inflated to at least 80 PSI, and run them as close to the maximum pressure quoted on the side of the tyre for lowest rolling resistance.

Source(s): Personal experience.

you already asked that

and i have a life

it;s cheap to get slicks

what stops you from just trying it?

2 - 5 mph

there is actually no way to tell exactly

but it is the single cheapest fastest best thing you can do to speed up a mt bike

other than locking the shocks if it has them [shocks make it VERY slow]

wle

Will increase your road speed at least 2 to 3 mph & feel infinitely faster & smoother.

If you are going to predominately be riding on the road, I would recommend you do that. You will notice a huge difference in speed and it will feel a lot smoother.

Source(s): I ride bikes!
  • John M

It will be a much smoother and more efficient ride by 15%.

• Kinan

If you go off road you may crash when you east expect it when you look for traction and it simply isn't there.

Not worth it for me, took them off and simply pushed harder.

It will make you faster on the road but crash on the dirt!