Esteban asked in SportsCycling · 8 years ago

What is a good quality folding bike.?

Everyday I have to take a subway to school, and in order to get to the train station I must go by means of car. I have been considering taking bike the almost 5 mile way, as for me it wouldn't be to difficult. I am worried that taking my current bike and locking it by the train station, it would be ruined by weather conditions and possibly stolen. I would like to have a folding bike that is reliable. I don't need more than one gear, as I am not trying to break any world records. I would like it if the bike would cost under 300 dollars or below, but am willing to consider more expensive options. Please help me.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

good luck

some folders are good but expensive

some fold fast but not small

some are small folded but slow to fold

some are heavy but cheap

some have gears but are expensive

it;s hard to get fast fold, small fold, gears, light, high quality all together

particularly under $300!

in fact it it hard to get a decent not-folding bike for that

folding only makes it harder

folding easy, fast, small, light with gears is impossible for that

too many constraints on the problem

that said - the new thing in folding bikes is a brand called tern

see if you can find a dealer

they all look good but that is all i know

at least google them

wle

• 8 years ago

Most Dahon models- like the Uno seres- are not compact fold. This means that most trains and buses will charge an extra fare to bring it on. This, as you might guess, can quickly add up.

There are 2 bikes almost identical to each other that are compact fold and are some of the lightest and best built bikes on the planet. The first is the Strida, available on amazon.com for about $600.00. The other, the Torrent Foldaway BD sells for about $300 but they are usually sold before they arrive from the factory. You can get the Torrent from http://thecheapbikeshop.com but you'll have to email them and reserve one- because they are so popular they don't have them on their website.

Source(s): 32 years in the industry
  • BigE
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

You need a simple folder. Find a Dahon dealer and try a Speed Uno. (it is one speed, coaster)

Folders get complicated with cables and gears. There are other Dahons.

It is a bit more than 300.

I have a Bike Friday folder, and now I would have preferred a simpler bike, like a Speed Uno. The folding is easier, and the cables housings (because of the folding) don't need lots of maintenance.

• 8 years ago

Dahon

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • JOJO
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Go to fivetv.com/thegadgetshow as they road-tested the best on the Market a few months ago.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.