alexa asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 8 years ago

An example of personification and a simile in the poem "Hyla Brook" by Robert Frost?

Favorite Answer

The very first line of the poem is an example of personification.

"By June our brook's run out of song and speed."

Frost personifies the brook by giving it human abilities (singing and running).

This is the example of a simile:

"And taken with it all the Hyla breed

That shouted in the mist a month ago,

Like ghost of sleigh bells in a ghost of snow"

Frost compares the brook to the ghostly or distant sound of sleigh bells.

Hyla Brook By Robert Frost

different people = different interpretation and different processes to interpret it, too I'll try to keep it simple and express myself clearly (hard for me x.x) he describes the means to ending the world. The world can refer to planet Earth or life of a person or a difficult complex situation or something totally different I am sure you are familiar with expressions : fiery passion (desire) and cold hatred. So you can make the connection between 1st ending = fire = desire and 2nd ending = ice = hate From author's personal experience (what he tasted from desire) he thinks the desire can be much more powerful/hurtful/stronger/destructive feeling However if there was no fire(desire/passion), the world (life/relationship/...) can also end with the opposite -> the ice(hatred) what does the poem mean ? If something is ending (can not continue normally as it did before), the cause for this destruction is 1. either a power too hard to contain (fire, desire) or 2. a power that stops(prohibits) any further development (ice, hatred) I don't think I managed to keep it as simple as I wished :(