Is Gabriel Batistuta the most underrated player of all time?

No one regards him as one of the past greats of the game, it seems. However, Batistuta was one of my very first big favourites, he was amazing. His goals were not just frequent, but most of them were excellent and varied in type. Long range strikes, solo goals, bullet headers, freekicks, predatory goals, acrobatic... show more No one regards him as one of the past greats of the game, it seems. However, Batistuta was one of my very first big favourites, he was amazing. His goals were not just frequent, but most of them were excellent and varied in type. Long range strikes, solo goals, bullet headers, freekicks, predatory goals, acrobatic efforts. You name the type of goal, Batistuta has scored it.

In Batigol's day, Serie A was the best defensive league in the World, yet he made it his playground and great teams struggled to cope with his skills, pace and instincts. His goalscoring record for his country puts most of today's superstars (Yes Messi and Ronaldo, I mean you) to SHAME.

The shocking thing is many people have barely heard of Batistuta, even though for me, he is one of the most gifted strikers to ever play the game.