pdooma
pdooma asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 9 years ago

Do you support DC's Wildlife Protection Act?

Where it's illegal for anyone to kill any wildlife in Washington DC....including Rats. They have to be captured and humanely released somewhere in the wild.

Maryland is now introducing a "Rat Trafficking Act" which prevents DC residents, pest control companies, and government agencies from releasing those captured rats across the Maryland line.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the congested nature of DC and the close proximity of both VA and MD to the city, and the limited amount of open land in DC, it's a considerable concern.

Not a parenting Q per se but would you be against killing your city's rat population or should rats just be moved to the park?

Favorite Answer

False — the first page of the District of Columbia's Wildlife Protection Act states that the law does not cover "commensal rodents" — that's legalese for "rats and mice."

The intent of the law is to allow for the relocation (rather than killing) of pests like racoons, skunks and opossums. There's a good argument to be made that it's a dumb law — the thing sounds like more trouble than it's worth — but the whole rat issue is a falsehood perpetuated by Rush Limbaugh and Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli..

(Demonizing the District is never bad politics in Maryland and Virginia.)

I've been familiar with Pat McDonough, the Maryland legislator who is sponsoring the "Rat Trafficking Act," for years. He is a publicity-hungry gas-bag demagogue who has a long history of twisting, exaggerating or ignoring facts if it will get him news coverage.

Whenever you hear something that sounds *that* outrageous, always ask yourself if it's *really* true, or if there's something more to the story.

• MamaG

Don't think I could support that.

When it comes to animals that are low in population or not a nuisance then yes I could see protecting and relocating. Deer, bears, foxes, all those animals can cause issues in residential/city areas, but they don't multiply like rats. I can understand and support relocating these animals humanly.

But rats under protection? I don't think so. That goes into the realm of lack of common sense. Rats can be nuisance animals and pests. Rats carry diseases and can get into your home easily. They multiply like wildfire. I don't have any issue killing rats. Moving them to a park... you'll just end up with the rats in your area again. Sometimes the most logical thing to do is to decrease the population.

What's next? Cockroaches under protection? ICK!

I tried to shoot a rat with a .45 once. Lets just say that the wall took a brutal beating.

I don't give a flying rats behind what you do with rats as long as they are far away from me.

So...when the politicians who wrote this law are decimated by bubonic plague, will it be a service to humanity or not? :o)

I'm thinking stupidity has consequences, and I am in favor of killing any and all rodents.