What kind of shop tool should I make with an electric motor?

I've acquired a very nice electric motor that used to be the motor for a sump pump It has an on-off switch on the side. 115 volt 5.7 amp. Seems very solid. I love to be innovative in the wood shop and I'm just looking for Ideas or perhaps your stories if you've ever made something with a nice electric motor. I was thinking about a grinder, or maybe even a drill press. Not sure how I'd do that, but those are my needs. Thanks

Favorite Answer

What you can use it for may also depend on the RPM and torque of the motor. A sump pump motor is also probably not rated to run for very long at a time.

Safety first - research whatever you will build, and test it carefully - always use safety glasses, stand to one side when you turn on high-speed tools, etc, as you may end up exceeding the safe load for the motor.

The grinder would probably be a little simpler, especially if you can make a way to attach a grinding wheel directly to the shaft, BUT this will likely exceed the safe limits of the shaft bearings when you use it to grind something.

The drill press would likely be a safer way to use the motor, but will need lots of other components, closely machined and assembled.

This would make an interesting hobby piece, but you would be ahead both in economics and safety to just buy cheap, entry level versions of each of these tools.

Source(s): work as a handyman.

I had and old dryer motor I turned into a 10" buffer.

What about a router?