Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is there any way to remove the "orange peel" texture when painting?

Whenever I use a roller, it always seems to leave that orange peel texture. Brushing leaves brush marks, and spraying is impractical for the size I'm painting (furniture sized). Are there any techniques, additives, etc. for preventing this?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A latex paint conditioning additive such as Floetrol, made by Flood, a wood-stain and paint additive company, is the choice of professional painters. Latex paint conditioner gives latex paint the texture of oil-based paint, binding with the paint to make the paint flow better when applied to the surface. Using an additive, a high-quality brush and quality paint--along with some proper painting techniques--can result in a smoother finish.

Read more: How to Get a Smooth Finish Using Latex Paint | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6743574_smooth-finish-usin...

• 4 years ago

Orange Peel Texture Paint

• elicia
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Orange Peel Texture Roller

• 9 years ago

Use a short nap roller of a good quality. Either a 3/8" or 1/4" nap the shorter the nap the smoother the finish but you will need to loader the roller more often with the shorter nap...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Use sponge brushes. They work very good on furniture. No brush marks and not orange peel texture.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I would expect thinner paint to "settle" a little after rolling, and reduce the texture. Also watch if you are in the sunlight or very low humidity, and drying too fast.

Source(s): work as a handyman
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

try dabbing at it with wadded up paper towel, or a sponge to get the desired texture.

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

My hubby adds some water and mixes well, this helps. We're not expert painters.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.