Parents, what are you doing for Chinese New Year?

I think it's officially tomorrow, but the celebrations appear to have started today here...

Maybe we'll order Chinese tonight.

BQ: Do your kids do Chinese New Year crafts at school usually?

Ours do and I always enjoy them because they're pretty interesting/creative things.

We're not Chinese either. There's a huge parade for it here, so everyone knows it's happening, whether they attend the parade or not (we don't, but we can see some of it through our window).

My attend school in around Chinatown in our city, so there's a very large Chinese population at the school... but Andrea, really, what's wrong with learning a bit of somebody else's culture for a change, huh?

• Minnow
    Favorite Answer

We'll probably watch a parade on the TV, but that's about it.

Add: When I was in first grade an Asian girl (I can't remember if she was Chinese, Korean, Japanese, or a mixture, I know her parents/grandparents were refugees) told me how special it was that we were of the year of the snake. We always celebrated Chinese New Years with her, and the school always did something. We'd have a little parade, kids in a dragon dancing thing, and the San Francisco parade in China Town was always fantastic even on TV!

She was hit by a car when I was about 10, and died. Something I remember from the funeral was the grandparents giving us pennies and chocolates in a red wrapped box. The penny was to remember that with misfortune life still has fortune. The chocolate to remind us that with the bitter, we still have the sweet. It was a very profound and powerful memory in my youth.

When I celebrate something for Chinese New Years, then usually it's to remember my friend. The penny and chocolate is something I do plan on passing onto my children, and a respect for the wonderful things in those beliefs.

But this year it snuck up on me. :P After you told me though, that made me determined to get my daughter's room clean and use the carpet cleaner on her rug, and all the beds at the least be made.

It should be a fantastic parade this year, Year of the Dragon is always very spectacular.

Add: When I was going to school, public school mind you, we sang songs and made dreidals, and we did things for Chinese New Years. Why not?

Nothing we don't celebrate the Chinese New Year.

One year in elementary school my daughter's teacher bought them Chinese food for lunch , Mrs. C was a great teacher.

i dont extremely comprehend reason im no longer chinese language yet i've got fun the holiday, ands if theyre doing what i do , and because its a three time out, i assume , get money on the 1st days then gamble

• Andy

Why would schools in America celebrate Chinese new years?they don't make dradels for hannukah. Leave Chinese new Years to the Chinese,I say.

Nobody I know celebrates Chinese New year.

I don't celebrate any New Year, so not a thing. :o)

I live in Indiana.....there's no mention of it. I'm sure the Asian center at Purdue has something going on as well as maybe things in Indy but overall.........

Ummm...nothing.

oh damn its my parents anniversary tomorrow!!! they got married on chinese new year.. thanks for reminding me :P well we usually see my parents, we arent chinese so we dont really celebrate it.

• Niko

Nothing this year.