Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 8 years ago

I bought a car 2 mths ago which was taxed,I now get a letter telling me the chq previous owner sent is unpaid?

I received a letter from the post office asking me to repay (as I am now the registered keeper), the chq previous owner used came back unpaid,can someone please tell who is responsible for this, as I bought the car in good faith, believing car to be taxed, also why has it taken 2 months for post office to send out a letter for unpaid cheque?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Short answer is that since you are the vehicle's registered keeper, you are responsible for ensuring the vehicle is taxed.

If you can hound the previous owner for the money, so much the better but legally it's down to you.

• 8 years ago

tell the Post Office that you are willing to tax the car, but only if its 12 months from now, the last two months they will have to take it up with the person who bounced a check on them.

why should you be made responsible for a crime they know full well you did not do, if anything you are just as much a victim as they are

you bought the car in good faith you drove around believing the car was legally taxed and you had no way of knowing that was not the case,

so why should you pay

tell them if they are not happy with that you will have the car signed off road and you wil just sell it on

Source(s): my head
  • ANF
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

First answer is correct. You need to seek redress from the person that sold you the car as he misrepresented the road tax status. However you will probably not get very far and as the registered keeper of the vehicle you are responsible for the tax but only from the day that you became the owner.

• 8 years ago

Who knows why the PO have taken this amount of time - could be that they communicated with the previous owner first and then via DVLA records or the previous owner on to you. Makes no difference to you being liable now. You as the keeper are responsible for the car being taxed now. As to the cash involved you have to take that up with the seller

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Pay the tax via the Post Office to keep yourself legally on the road.

Contact the seller for a refund of the amount you are owed.

If they refuse contact the Citizens Advice Bureau or local small claims court for refund of Road Duty plus out of pocket expenses (phone calls, public transport etc).

• Who
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Its down to you to pay the tax.

BUT you can sue the previous owner cos the car was sold under the false pretence that it was already taxed.(its bordering on fraud)

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

im affraid you are now the owner of the car so you are responsable as i should think the car will now be registered as untaxed

• 8 years ago

Your car now, your responsibility now. Pay it, and contact the seller and ask for a refund.

• 8 years ago

You will get it taxed asap as at the moment it's showing as untaxed.

• 8 years ago

Ask your local citizens advice beaurea if you can possibly sue the seller for breach of contract they shud know.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.