Do pit bull dogs need strong owners?

I have a female mutt (half pit-half lab) and she is as sweet as can be! <3 But I was recently reading a dog magazine and it said that pit bulls needed strong owners. Of course, the article didn't mean abusive owners, just "alpha"/firm owners. My thought has always been that pits just need more... show more I have a female mutt (half pit-half lab) and she is as sweet as can be! <3 But I was recently reading a dog magazine and it said that pit bulls needed strong owners. Of course, the article didn't mean abusive owners, just "alpha"/firm owners.

My thought has always been that pits just need more love- owners who aren't using or abusing them. And owners who are willing to take their dogs to be trained. My husband and I have taken all of our dogs to dog school and our pit-lab Nala is no exception. Also, my husband is firmer with our dogs than me (he says I spoil them, etc.) Actually, we both spoil our dogs lol. But she is really well behaved.

Would a full breed pit bull need a firm owner? Does it make a difference if the dog is male or female? Or in your experience are training and love enough? And if the dog isn't properly trained but IS thoroughly loved, what outcomes have you seen?

Personal stories appreciated.

Thank you! :)
Update: So many great and thoroughly informative answers. Thanks guys and gals!