Liza2
Liza2 asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Do pit bull dogs need strong owners?

I have a female mutt (half pit-half lab) and she is as sweet as can be! <3 But I was recently reading a dog magazine and it said that pit bulls needed strong owners. Of course, the article didn't mean abusive owners, just "alpha"/firm owners.

My thought has always been that pits just need more love- owners who aren't using or abusing them. And owners who are willing to take their dogs to be trained. My husband and I have taken all of our dogs to dog school and our pit-lab Nala is no exception. Also, my husband is firmer with our dogs than me (he says I spoil them, etc.) Actually, we both spoil our dogs lol. But she is really well behaved.

Would a full breed pit bull need a firm owner? Does it make a difference if the dog is male or female? Or in your experience are training and love enough? And if the dog isn't properly trained but IS thoroughly loved, what outcomes have you seen?

Personal stories appreciated.

Thank you! :)

So many great and thoroughly informative answers. Thanks guys and gals!

Favorite Answer

All dogs need strong owners. Some breeds are more harder to train for first time dog owners than others, that is why American Pit Bull Terriers are recommended for dog owners who have at least had some experience in training dogs because an APBT can easily be to much to handle for someone who is new to owning dogs.

The same goes for tons of other breeds like Dobermans, Collie's, Mastiff's, Rottweilers, Shepherds..ect

American Pit Bull Terriers, or ANY dog for that matter doesn't just need someone who will "love them".

Any person with some sense can love a dog.

LOVE won't train a dog to become stable

LOVE won't socialize a dog to become stable

LOVE won't smooth or improve a dogs temperament.

Love alone won't cure or fix anything. You need to be an experienced dog owner who knows how to socialize, train and care for a dog. If you can give these 2 things to your dog at the fullest, than you can own any breed of dog or any advacned breed of dog, not just APBT.

APBT's aren't he monsters they are made up to be, most of them are nothing more than stronger and more independent versions of Labs who do wonderfully with other pets and children and animals when they are prooper soclized because APBT are dog aggressive and if not socilized early become aggressive towards dogs. A good natured well bred APBT would never be aggressive towars a human.

Gender does not make a different if you spay/neuter and offer all of the training and socialization the dogs need. I've seen the outcome of tons of APBT's who aren't properly trained and socialized.

They are either tied outside under a tree with a shake for a dog house and a bucket full of moldy water. Other APBT are tied to 5lbs + chains to keep them from attacking anyone, still others are placed in kennels for the remainder of their lives because their owners don't know how to care for them, or fail to care for them, and of course, many others are thrown and dumped into shelters because they are to much to handle. Throwing an APBT into a shelter is basically a death sentence, because no one wants to adopt a full grown dog, much lessen on an APBT, the bred has a horrible rap and bad stereotype as you know, and this dissuade many people from adopting them, even when some of them are loving, appreciative dogs.

An APBT who is not property trained has an outcome just like any other dog who is not properly trained, the dog is aggressive, unstable, fearful, anxious and often suffers from mental issues due to lack of training. They will bite when provoked or when the see something strange and will do other horrific behaviors.

Any dog with teeth can be aggressive and dangerous and unstable and bite when not socialized or properly trained, the difference is that another dog is just another dog and an APBT is an APBT, and these dogs attacks are always over exaggerated in the news for the sake of media business.

Well without reading the article, I'd say that they could have meant firm and consistent. I've worked with a lot of dogs in my life and have owned Two Pit bull's. Some breeds are just more stubborn than others and need a bit more structure and convincing before they take you seriously. I had to really keep on my dog when she was a puppy until about 2 y/o making sure that she knew who the leader was, but also not being to firm because Pit bull's are known for developing anxiety issues. Now I hardly ever have to be firm with her, for the most part I can just tell her and she knows what I expect. I find that at times they will push you to see what you are made of, but they are extremely smart and by far my favorite breed.

Source(s): Pit bull owner/ Works for dog rescue group.
  • nosaj

Pit Bulls need owners who understand the breed first and foremost.Those who understand the breeds energy level,its strength,intelligence,ability,and the high prey and potential for animal aggression.Without the firm knowledge and how to manage these issues,the average dog owner can be overwhelmed by the breed.

The confidence in knowledge and willingness to apply it,along with some basic animal husbandry and handling/training skills are what will make good owners.Love is not part of the equation.

If a dog is spoiled aka loved and has no training or boundaries,you will end up with a dog that behaves poorly.

If you want more breed info and/or stories:

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/forums.php

Source(s): APBT owner

I don't believe Pit Bulls need more love than other breeds, but I do believe that all dogs need owners who threat them well and who train them.

Pit Bulls and all dogs with strong drives that could pose a problem in suburbia need owners who understand what kind of dog they own and what kind of breed typical instincts it can have. My preferred breed of dog is one that has suffered from bad breeding, and one where the breed typical instincts can pose a problem. I can't love these instincts away, but I can do my best to find a mentally stable, breed typical puppy, and modify its instincts to some degree through training and handling to get a good dog that does not pose a threat to other animals or humans.

In my experience gender means less than the individual dogs temperament when it comes to training, although there are of course some gender related differences. All dogs need a firm and consistent owner, whether it's a Pug or Tibetan Terrier, but of course some breeds are more forgiving regarding handler mistakes and easier to deal with.

Of the dogs I have met that aren't properly trained, but thoroughly loved by inconsistent owners, all have had problem behaviours, some with quite a bite record to their name, one of which was a fear biter because its owner had babied it to be frightened of just about everything. These were loved dogs, and well cared for dogs, but necessarily not happy dogs.

But...loving and spoiling, does not automatically mean that you are not being firm or inconsistent. Luckily, it is possible to love and spoil your dog, while being firm and consistent at the same time. :)

In my opinion ALL dogs need to have a 'strong owner'. It's not about alpha necessarily, but just a dog who has an owner who sets the rules so the dog knows his boundaries - just as a child really. Mutual respect - bonding makes for a well-behaved animal usually.

It might be said that males need a firmer hand than b itches, but I've known some pretty stroppy bitches, and some really soft dogs who could be easily demolished if I was too heavy with them. Generalisation is dangerous!

I believe Pit Bulls need firm owners - by firm I mean committed to training using positive reinforcement and someone who knows what they are doing.

But then this really isn't limited to Pit bills, all dogs need firm owners.

All dogs need strong owners. Some because they tend to test the boundaries all the time (terriers, including pits, tend to fit in this category). Some because they need a strong leader to help them overcome a tendency towards fear.

The first thing your dog needs is for you to be a firm but fair leader that teaches him/her your "pack" rules and expects the dog to obey them. This is what the pack leader does in a canine pack. This is what a parent does (or should do) in human family (similar to a pack). This does NOT require abuse. For good training advice check out http://leerburg.com/ .

all depends on dog, breeding, care and your ability to train.

most bully breeds need owners that know how to keep rather than most people

The article you read was most likely against the breed.

Pitbulls are great weight pulling dogs though because they can be super strong.

They are smart so a strong willed person should own one VS someone who is just going to spoil it and let it do what it wants.

• Tim

You can be firm without being hard on your dogs. If you say no and your dog listens you are the alpha.