Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Atheists do you think murder is wrong?

I mean if you guys don't believe in god then what's the big deal about killing someone just because you don't like them I mean if their gonna die anyway why do ppl make such a big fuss over this

Favorite Answer

Your logic is laughable.

It's stupid, is that good enough for you?

It takes about ten seconds of rational thought to figure out why murder is an incredibly stupid thing to do. If you're too lazy to take ten seconds to think about it, then I suppose you need imagined "commands" from an imagined "god." I don't, because I can think things through.

Your "argument" hurts christianity (and other religions) more than "atheism" -- if this life is nothing but a temporary lead-in to an eternal afterlife, what's the big deal about killing somebody? After all, they're going to go straight to heaven (or hell) anyway. And by the way, religions have used that exact kind of thinking for thousands of years to kill non-believers (and people who believe something different from them) -- claiming they're killing in "god's name" to send "sinners" straight to hell, or to let some "god" decide what to do with them. I never have.

Peace.

It's simple. The golden rule - "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" - is found in lots of ethical systems. I don't murder other people because I wouldn't want to be murdered myself.

It's actually pretty alarming that you think the thing stopping you from going around killing people is a security guard in the sky watching over you.

What is more moral - not doing horrible things because you see them as wrong and harmful, or because you think you might get caught?

• Rick L

"if you guys don't believe in god then what's the big deal about killing someone"

So, you don't believe in Zeus, or Odin, so that means that You must think it's OK to kill people also. You don't think that? It's a stupid sentence? Yeah, all I did was change the 'god' you were referring to, otherwise it is saying the same thing.

I just believe in one less god then you do. That does not make me an immoral lawless person.

Research has shown that morality is physiological and mental. There is an area in the brain that regulates our knowledge of right and wrong, which I believe is located in the hypothalamus, but I could be wrong there.

So yes, I believe murder is wrong, not because some God told me so, but because my moral centre tells me it is. I do not have the right to decide whether a human lives or dies by my hand or someone else's hand.

Yes, murder is wrong.

I don't get the whole "If there's no God" -angle since it's wrong to kill people regardless of whether God exists or not. Or would you be prepared to say that if somehow it turned out God didn't exist after all that suddenly we would have the right to kill you? Probably not. See, we both agree with each other that murder is wrong regardless of whether God exists or not.

Wait...are you saying that it's only because of God that you aren't going around killing people?

If you found out that God doesn't exist, would you turn into a murderer?

Your logic is dark and frightening. I don't need a God to tell me that murder is wrong; I am part of a social species, and killing other members of it wouldn't be beneficial to the species.

If you ever become an atheist, I would not want to run into you in a dark alleyway.

The fact that I lack the belief that the earth was created by a Judeo-Christain deity has nothing to do with the fact that I believe it is wrong to kill people. In case you are not aware of this, morality is man-made.

• Ny

So you only refrain from killing people because God says so? Not because you believe it's wrong on a personal level, too?

You don't need religious beliefs to have moral beliefs.

If your fear of a god is the only thing stopping you from killing indiscriminately, you need to recheck your morals.

I don't require a threat of hell or any retribution for me to understand that life is more important than that (I'm essentially a pantheist). Atheists don't, either. Curiously, it's only (in my experience) those of Abrahamic religions who don't understand this doesn't require their god.

Because when you're dead you're gone. I wouldn't wish that on anyone and am glad that the majority of societies agree with me when I say that nobody should have the right to deny someone life.

Btw, when I say 'someone' I don't include feotuses that haven't even developed cognitive thought.