Can you name an underrated movie thats by someone who is well known for acting?

.. or a movie that deserves more attention as well by an actor.

BQ: Top 3 favourite thrillers?

BQ2: Favourite actor that's never worked with your favourite director?

BQ3: What's better: your favourite film from 1995 or 1975? (please tell me both)

• Best Answer

On a roll with the Q's there!

Hmmm I've watched my share of underrated movies but one that springs to mind is Nanking. Its' not a movie, it's a documentary I had just accidentally discovered it when I was "movie-stalking" Woody Harrelson and watching everything he's been in. It's got a slew of amazing actors (Mariel Hemingway/John Getz/Stephen Dorff), and the thing that shocks me more about the movie (apart from the fact that it's so underrated), is how the subject matter is so relatively less-known! It's about, a massacre on a "holocaust-scale" and it blew my mind that I had never learned anything about it in school or seen it in books...a truly painful documentary about wartime atrocities but a necessary viewing. Had me researching, and crying buckets for weeks- here's a trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMn7Q6coFbg

Youtube thumbnail

BQ: Ah! That's such a broad question, i'm just gonna type up the top three that pop up in my head otherwise I won't be able to condense it down to three, lol.

1) Psycho (this is really off the top of my head because I saw someone mention it in your previous question), I will say this though, I think the slasher sub-genre definitely owes its existence to this Alfred Hitchcock masterpiece.

2) The Machinist - My mind still can't shake off the image of Christian Bale's skeletal appearance in that movie...

3) Don't Look Now - this movie is mind-bendingly creepy. Definitely stays in your mind long after the credits roll...

BQ2: There's lots, mainly because my "favourite actor" is so selective about the movies he acts in anyways, so he's only worked with a few handful :P Daniel Day-Lewis working with Peter Jackson would be pretty awesome I think ;D Or even Quentin!

BQ3: Ah! To pick between Se7en or Toy Story (both amazing 1995 movies!), think I'll go with Toy Story :D and from (1975) Monty Python and the Holy Grail! Definitely Monty Python out of the two :D :D :D !!!

• Adrian

Charly (1968) with an Oscar winning performance by Cliff Robertson who passed away last year. The movie deserves more recognition because it is extremely well acted and is such a sad movie. It is hardly remembered at all.

BQ: My top 3 is Silence of the Lambs, Children of Men, and The Game. However, I think I should bring up 3 other less well known ones to give recognition, and those would be Heat, Gattaca, and Run Lola Run, these three are great movies also but just doesn't get enough attention.

BQ2: Dustin Hoffman (favorite director: James Cameron). He was just wonderful in The Graduate. But his best performance is from Rain Man. That's a performance to remember.

BQ3: 1975 - The Rocky Horror Picture Show, 1995 - I really can't decide between Se7en and Heat, but both those would be better than The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

• \Liam\

Bill Murray in Broken Flowers.

BQ:

The Silence of the Lambs

Se7en

No Country for Old Men

BQ2:

Natalie Portman and David Fincher, Paul Thomas Anderson, The Cohen Brothers and David Lynch

BQ3:

1995: Se7en

1975: Picnic at Hanging Rock

Se7en wins

• UA

Hi MJ :))

I hope you have switched on the weekend mode there.

I am sure you will agree with me when I say that Kevin Spacey is one of the better actors and there are a couple of his movies that I think are underrated or not quite so well known. I have seen them and both are brilliant.

K-PAX (2001) - Sci-Fi (your fav genre)

The Life of David Gale (2003) - mystery/suspense drama (my fav genre)

BA : The Silence of the Lambs (1991), The Game (1997) & No Country for Old Men (2007)

BA2 : Well this needs a bit of research but its Friday today, so I will just go with my own perception. I don't think Ed norton has been ever directed either by Spielberg or Cameron. Please let me know in case I am mistaken.

BA3 : One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) & The Usual Suspects (1995)....tough one because both are from my favourite genres (drama & suspense thriller)...I will go with Jack Nicholson's splendid performance :)

A Perfect World. It stars two well-known actors, Clint Eastwood and Kevin Costner, and is directed by Eastwood, yet I honestly never see anybody talking about it. I know I'm beating a dead horse here (never used that statement before, lol), because I'm always talking about it, but it's such an amazing film. Eastwood's best, I feel.

BQ: Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, and The Departed. That's actually my top three overall, I think. I don't know if that's what you meant by thrillers, but that's what IMDb lists them as.

BQ2: Steve Buscemi, Al Pacino, Steve Carell, and Robert De Niro have never worked with Wes Anderson.

BQ3: Dog Day Afternoon vs. Living in Oblivion. Definitey Dog Day Afternoon.

• emjob

Nil by Mouth - writted and directed by Gary Oldman. People who have seen it generally love it (though it is hard to watch in places) but not enough people know about it!

BQ: Oh goodness hard to narrow down. Fargo, Kalifornia, The Wicker Man (1973) - just three off the top of my head!

BQ2: Anthony Hopkins. Don't think he's worked with any of my 'most favourite' directors.

BQ3: 1995 - Twelve Monkeys..........1975 - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

You know the answer Maddie! :)

Hmm I'm having trouble thinking of one, I'll probably edit later

BQ- The Departed, Batman and The Dark Knight

BQ2- Jack Nicholson has worked with Stanley Kubrick so I'm going to say Marlon Brando

BQ3- The Usual Suspects and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, I'm sure you know the answer to this one lol

I'm struggling to think of one at the moment.

BQ: Vertigo, Memento, The Conversation

BQ2: Tom Hanks (Stanley Kubrick)

BQ3: 1995 (Toy Story over Dog Day Afternoon)

• V

Hey Suicidal :D

"Garden State" by Zach Braff.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0333766/

He may not be that well know for acting in films as he was the centre of attention in the sitcom "Scrubs", but Zach wrote, directed and acted within this film to produce an entertaining and somewhat emotional film. It does have it's flaws and the ending wasn't as good as I would have expected it to be, but the film is well-worth a watch. It has it's touching and sad moments along with it's comedic and funny moments. It also has Natalie Portman in the film playing Zach's love interest and this is in opinion the second best performance she has ever done in a film, "V For Vendetta" being her best. I would recommend it to you if you liked "(500) Days Of Summer", "Scrubs" or "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind".

BQ:

1. "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" - A genre-defining sci-fi film that was truly a masterpiece of it's time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103064/

2. "The Dark Knight" - Second favorite vigilante film of all time, amazing performances and the complex morality really made the film as good as it was.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/

3. "District 9" - A bit of a slow-starter but I really was impressed with the film and how I actually was sympathetic for Wikus.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1136608/

I don't know if those are defined as "thrillers" but according to IMDB they are. A few thrillers I am wanting to see are "Se7en" and "Silence Of The Lambs".

BQ2: Leonardo DiCaprio never worked with Darren Aronofsky.

BQ3: "Die Hard With A Vengeance" (1995) and "Jaws" (1975). These are both the only films that I have seen from each year, coincidentally I was going to buy "Se7en" (a 1995 film) but I was a bit skeptical if I could buy it with the R18+ DVD rating with me only being 15. I also want to see "Leaving Las Vegas" (1995) and "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" (1975) but I haven't got around to that.

I would have to say that "Jaws" is better than "Die Hard With A Vengeance".

Bronco Billy with Clint Eastwood (who also directed it). I've never heard anyone talk about it, but I think it is a great movie.

BQ: Psycho, First Blood, Se7en (That's only off the top of my head though)

BQ2: My favorite director is Martin Scorsese. James Stewart has never worked with him as far as I know.

BQ3: Braveheart and Jaws. I personally like Jaws more.