Dylan asked in SportsCycling · 8 years ago

If im 14 will i get a ticket for riding a bike on the sidewalk without a helmet?

i live in california and im just riding around my friends houses not competitive cycling

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Helmets are required in California for anyone under 18. Link below. Contrary to other answers, there is no law stating you must ride on the streets - but it's a LOT safer & you have every right to do so. 2nd link below.

Read 3rd link from cover to cover - Bicycling Street Smarts by John S. Allen. This is the "Holy Bible" on how to do it right.

• Bill D
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

California Vehicle Code 21212 requires anyone under the age of 18 to wear a helmet when riding a bicycle, a nonmotorized scooter, or a skateboard, or in-line or roller skates on any road or bike way. It doesn't specify sidewalk but that can get tricky because some of the wider sidewalks around here that meet certain criteria are also classified as Class I bike ways. You can also bet money that most cops will get you on the sidewalk and ignore the fact that the law does not specify sidewalks.

Like most states, California leaves the issue of sidewalk bicycling to local governments (CVC 21100(h)). Riding on the sidewalk may be illegal depending upon your local city/county laws. You'll have to check those separately.

Just wear a helmet. It's easy.

It's also better to ride in the road. See some of my references below for how to do that safely.

• BigE
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Under 18, you are required to wear a helmet in CA. Your parent will get the ticket.

I've never seen or heard anyone get a ticket for simply riding on the sidewalk in CA. Maybe in

more urban areas.

• Jim G
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

If you ride on the sidewalk, you may be tempted to also ride the wrong way for that side on the road. In some areas, you would get a third ticket for riding the wrong way, i.e. against the normal traffic flow, even though you were on a sidewalk - where you already got your second ticket.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

i live in cali 2 and i was in the bike lane riding like a block from school with no helmet and guess who got a ticket for $250? me and like 4 other people

• 3 years ago

I never placed on one its hypocritical yet i think of you could it does not take lots speed to get a head harm i've got biked for 15 years I even have allot of journey one in all my friends unexpectedly met a motor vehicle hit his head and mandatory open techniques surgical operation placed on a helmet its well worth your existence

• John M
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

You will get two tickets, one for no helmet and the other for riding on the sidewalk.

• 8 years ago

Bill D has the correct answer on the legalities.

I'll add that:

You will never regret wearing a helmet

You may regret not wearing one, but only after its too late.

• Beery
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Listen to Old Hippie and Bill D - they know what they're talking about.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Nope bicycle helmets are completely optional

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.