World History Help Big test?
4. The Supreme Court gave its decision in the Regents of the University of California v. Bakke case in 1978. This was a case of which of the following?
A. Discrimination as an African American sued to get admission to an all white medical school.
B. Discrimination as a woman sued to get admission to an all male medical school.
C. Reverse discrimination as a white male sued to get admission to the medical school.
D. Reverse discrimination as a woman sued to get admitted to an all woman medical school.
12.To silence critics during WWI, the government used which of the following criteria for limiting individual rights?
A. Compelling Government Interest
B. Clear and Present Danger
D. Equal Opportunity
23. A common form of dissent during protests led by Martin Luther King, Jr. was which of the following?
A. Rioting in the streets.
B. Looting stores in white communities.
C. Marching in the streets.
D. Writing letters to newspapers.
34.In 1954, in Brown V. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas, the supreme Court set a new precedent by striking down which of the following?
A. The Electoral College.
B. The doctrine of Separate but Equal.
C. The Civil Rights movement.
D. The idea of one man, one vote.
42. What tactic did both A. Mitchell Palmer and Joseph McCarthy use to gain support for their actions?
A. They sponsored public forums to debate communism.
B. They encouraged free expression of communistic ideas.
C. They organized protest rallies to raise public awareness.
D. They manipulated public fear of communism.
56. Charles Schenck was found guilty of violating the 1917 Espionage Act by distributing leaflets through the mail urging men to resist induction under the military draft for World War I. On appeal, Schenck’s attorneys argued the distribution of the leaflets was protected by the First Amendment. The Supreme Court upheld his conviction. This case illustrates how individual rights can be balanced against which of the following?
A. The rights of other individuals.
B. The security of the nation in a time of war.
C. The opportunities for people to enlist in the military.
D. The interest of the government in keeping courts opens to provide justice.
- ?Lv 79 years agoFavorite Answer
4. "C. Reverse discrimination as a white male sued to get admission to the medical school."
12. "B. Clear and Present Danger"
23. "C. Marching in the streets."
34. "B. The doctrine of Separate but Equal."
42. "D. They manipulated public fear of communism."
56. "B. The security of the nation in a time of war."
[Note: Although I am confident that the answers I have selected are correct, I believe that ambiguity characterizes the language of the questions (e.g., 23, 42), as well as the language of many of the choices given as possible answers. I should add that these questions and the choices given as possible answers suggest to me that this is part of a badly written "standardized" test.]