?
? asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 9 years ago

Yokohama tires.... YK580?

Are these any good? I was thinking about buying 4 and having them siped. They are the YK580. Would I get decnet treadlife? Do they go flat a lot.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTir%E2%80%A6

I have worn out Primacy MXV4 on my car. These tires lasted a long time and never went flat but I don't like the way they handle and the fuel-mileage was poor when these tires were new.

The car is a Honda Accord.

What do you think of Toyo tires? I could go to Les Schwabs

Favorite Answer

I'm not an auto/tire expert, so I recently researched tires for my 2002 Mazda 626, and ended up putting YK580s on it. I have about 1000 miles on them so far, and I'm pretty happy with them.

Noise: fairly quiet

Handling: sticks to the road. Vehicle is responsive with good grip. Haven't tried wet conditions.

Fuel economy: haven't noticed a difference

I haven't owned them long enough to make any conclusions about treadlife.

So far, I like them better than the Michelin Primacy MXV4s we just put on my wife's 2006 Honda Civic.

My driving style: slightly more spirited than "average"

Yokohama Tires Yk580

The MXV4 tires have a lot of factory type of siping with the small treadblocks. What I'm saying is the small treadblocks act the same way siped tires do. Siped tires and tires with small treadblocks have uneven performance on dry roads and the fuel economy isn't great.... simple Physics as the other guy said. The MXV4 tires are on the lower end of the rolling resistance chart but they sure as heck ain't breaking through it. You would get decent fuel mileage at best.

The YK 580 are a sticky rubber type of tire that performs the best on dry pavement. Getting those tires siped would be a mistake and you would be robbing yourself of the tires main strength. Also, it would lower the fuel economy. The Yoko's are a good tire but they usually wear out 10k miles before the warranty expires.

• ?

First of all, do not sipe your tires. Don't void your warranty.

The Primacy MXV4 is one of the absolute best grand touring tires on the market, period. It has been an industry standard for a decade. I am surprised they were not a good fit for your Accord. The Yoko YK580's would certainly not be an improvement. Simply not the quality of the Primacy. However, Yokohama does much good quality tires, but the YK580 is not one of their superstars.

If working with discount tire for your purchase consider the following for your Honda that they regularly stock:

Continental ContiProContact

Pirelli P6 Four Seasons Plus

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred

Yokohama Yk580 Review

• Mark F

Why would you want to sipe a modern tire? I didn't think anyone even did that anymore. Even if you could find someone with a still functioning sipe cutter all you are likely to do is ruin the tire - and the siping will void the factory warranty on the tire to boot.

The Michelin Primacy MXV4 is one of the most fuel efficient tires in this category and certainly among the highest rated - which the Yoko certainly is not. All tires get better fuel economy when they are worn. That is just simple physics.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/survey...

Source(s): I work in the tire industry

YK580 are good but please take a look at GT Radial Champiro 228s. It's a Smart Move! http://www.gtradial-us.com/gtradial/us/en/product-...

Let us know if we can help!

Christine Taylor

GT RadialUSA

christine@jtmar.com