Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 9 years ago

Dotted notes - drumming?

I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around dotted notes in drumming. Youtube tutorials are pretty worthless.

Basically, how exactly do I play them? Let's say you had four quarter notes played on 1, 2, 3, 4. Now the first one because a dotted quarter note. How does this alter the beat?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 4
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A dotted note extends the length of the undotted note by half. The duration is 1.5 times the original. So if you have a dotted quarter, the length of the note is the length of a quarter plus the length of an eighth note (an eighth note is half the length of a quarter note.

So counting quarters we have

1 2 3 4

So when we count quarters with eights in between:

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

Making the first quater note a dotted quarter note would result in this

1 & 3 & 4 &

A common pattern is a dotted eighth and sixteenth patter, commonly heard on the ride cymbal in jazz music.

A dotted quarter note has the same value as a tied quarter and eighth note.

Source(s): There is such a thing as a double dotted note. It extends the idea of the basic dotted note, extending the length of the note by a half and a quarter of the original note. So a dotted quater note is the length of quarter note, an eighth note, and a sixteenth note.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Youtube is ok for somethings, many of the people on youtube have no incentive to really help you learn. You may want to take it to the next level, check this site out: http://www.yourmusicmuse.com/#Drums . They have several teachers and tons of lessons. Plus you can interact with the teachers via their forums and comments.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.