Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

So Atheist: Why have you teamed up with the Pagans to challenge the distribution of Bibles in our high-schools?

Update:

OUR NATION WAS FOUNDED ON JUDEO-CHRISTIAN VALUES AND HERITAGE -- NOT ON MUSLIM ONES. GET IT?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

First off, the school this girl goes to is a PUBLIC high school. In McCollum v. Board of Education Dist. 71, the Supreme Court ruled that religious instruction violated the 1st amendent's establishment clause of freedom of religion. Last time I checked, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Pagans, and Atheists go to public school as well as christians, so forcing everyone in PUBLIC high school to read the bible violates the 1st amendment right to freedom of religion. If you want your child to read a bible in school, go to a PRIVATE christian high school.

Second, while the founders were largely protestant, the Constitution was written to separate church and state. No where in the Constitution is god mentioned. The founding fathers never intended for christian teachings to be the law of this land. If they did, it would have been explicitly written in the constitution and the 1st amendment would not have granted religious freedom because christianity would have been the law.

Side note: Did you read the very last sentence of that article of yours?

"Many Christians have stood up and said they agree with me too," Strivelli said. "Because, as much as they may like the Bible, they don't want Jehovah's Witnesses coming in with Watch Tower (magazines) or Catholics coming in and having them pray the Rosary."

Based on what I know from your previous questions, you would not want jehovah's witnesses influencing your children.

• 4 years ago

As a Christian you proportion with the Catholic and the Jew a faith. First The Catholic is the bridge between the Christian and the Jew. The Bible, the Holy be attentive to God, has the previous testomony this is the Torah, the Jewish Bible, it grew to become into given to the individuals with the aid of the Catholic Church yet translated with the aid of Luther. in case you do not believe me ask a preacher. As for the Muslims they recognize concerning to the Jews and the Christians yet say they're incorrect interior the way they pray to God or Allah. As for the Atheist they don't believe in God till confronted with loss of life, a asserting interior the army "there are no atheist in a fox hollow!" As for the pagans as much as now as i recognize the believe in many gods.

• 9 years ago

School is a place to learn, History, Mathematics, English ,Social Studies, Earth Science,Biology... not religion.

Unless you attend a private school a Bible should appropriately be part of reference material in the Library.

The time for worship is at home or in Church. That doesn't mean a person cant conduct themselves as Christians, just its not the appropriate place to preach.

Students are free to pray quietly during their free time.

Matthew 6:5-6

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

In other words don't make a spectacle about religion in public.

Like this Christian...http://youtu.be/T0_Sir9DwSg

Youtube thumbnail

@

There is no reason to climb on a band wagon and get all silly.

Law suites are not necessary. Children should be encouraged to have knowledge about all the religions of the world, if they are interested. Granted Parents need to monitor the reading material and be ready to answer questions.

The best way to get a kid to read something is to tell them they cant.

Source(s): Our country was not founded on any religion.
  • 9 years ago

It seems that you don't get it. Schools should not be handing out bibles or any religious materials. It just so happens that Christians are often under fire because they're usually the ones trampling on the religious freedoms of others.

Christians, you do not have the right to impose or force your beliefs on others. Get THAT through your head.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Sahmir
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Srry buddy believe whatever bullhonkey you want there's separation of church and state, im with the athiests on this one im not going to discuss bible stuff in a public school without my consent.

Now if you're willing to also read the Qur'an, Torah and every other religious text (and i guess writings of famous athiests) in the world then by all means hand out the bibles and we'll get to work, but i doubt anyone wants to read that much.

Ohh and btw Muslim values are almost directly comparable to the Jewish and Christian ones. troll harder kiddo.

Source(s): Muslim
  • 9 years ago

The most telling part of the storyline is that the school refused to accept and distribute the religious materials Ms Strivelli attempted to donate clearly demonstrating an illegal religious bias.

• droid
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Because we don't want our schools taken over by religion we want science in there

and the Pagans didn't like it when you stole Yule and re branded it as Christmas

You are extremely deluded and stupid for believing we were founded on Judeo-Christian values, the term Judeo-Christian wasn't even used at that time, and MANY of our founding fathers questioned religion greatly. Learn some history please.

• I'm not atheist and I believe nothing from Faux News. But it would be fine with me if people can also go to all the high schools and distribute the Quran and literature on Buddhism, Hinduism, Shintoism, etc-ism. Real decent Americans believe in Freedom of Religion, not special rights for one religion.

• 9 years ago

Pagan, atheist or Christian, should all protest the handing out of religious materials at public schools. Separation of church and state protects Christianity more that it protects anything else (at least in our current society).

• 9 years ago

You said it. It's OUR High Schools. We pay taxes, too. We do not want out tax money used to promote a fictitious god. If the Gideons distributed the bibles themselves outside of the School yard, I would have no problem with it, but asking the school to distribute them, even though they are not forcing the kids to take them is a clear violation of the separation of church and state.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.