Mac OS X Admin Password reset WITH Install Disc, What am I doing wrong?!?

We have two mac laptops, both OS Version 10.4.10. One hasn't been used for ages, and we have forgotten the password for it. (Really need to log in ASAP) We have just moved house and I can only find the original Mac OS X Install Discs (1 & 2) for one of the laptops (I wouldn't know which discs would... show more We have two mac laptops, both OS Version 10.4.10.

One hasn't been used for ages, and we have forgotten the password for it. (Really need to log in ASAP)

We have just moved house and I can only find the original Mac OS X Install Discs (1 & 2) for one of the laptops (I wouldn't know which discs would have been for which laptops anyway)

I googled "how to reset administrative passwords with disc on mac" and followed the instructions.

I restarted, held "C" and waited for the apple logo.

Then a kernel (I think its called?) thing came up over screen it said something like "panic.. no drive found"

Was a bit worried that I had lost everything, but restarted, and I haven't.

So, my question is what am I doing wrong?

According to Apple website, I need to get to the stage of the install where I see the "Install and Restore" option.

I am pretty rubbish with all of this, so if somebody could answer in a really simple way it would be much appreciated!

Many thanks!!

Ps. I am sure I have just made a really silly error here, and I apologize if its a bit of a trivial question (for those who know). I have tried googling it all and looked in a lot of forums but I don't understand the answers there. So hope you can help thanks!!!! :-)
Update: Hey Chris, thank you for such a quick reply. That seems like a great answer but in the instance that I needed to install something new, wouldn't I need the admin password?