Christians - Seek FIRST the Kingdom of God?

If we are to seek the Kingdom of God First as instructed in scripture my question is - What is The Kingdom of God?

Matthew 6:33

But seek first The Kingdom of God

Could a Christian explain what the Kingdom of God is so we would know what we are supposed to be seeking first in our lives?

Thanks.

.

Favorite Answer

Jesus said to seek first the kingdom of God in His Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 6:33). The verse’s meaning is as direct as it sounds. We are to seek the things of God as a priority over the things of the world. Primarily, it means we are to seek the salvation that is inherent in the kingdom of God because it is of greater value than all the world’s riches. Does this mean that we should neglect the reasonable and daily duties that help sustain our lives? Certainly not. But for the Christian, there should be a difference in attitude toward them. If we are taking care of God’s business as a priority—seeking His salvation, living in obedience to Him, and sharing the good news of the kingdom with others—then He will take care of our business as He promised—and if that’s the arrangement, where is worrying?

But how do we know if we’re truly seeking God’s kingdom first? There are questions we can ask ourselves. “Where do I primarily spend my energies? Is all my time and money spent on goods and activities that will certainly perish, or in the services of God—the results of which live on for eternity?” Believers who have learned to truly put God first may then rest in this holy dynamic: “…and all these things will be given to you as well.”

God has promised to provide for His own, supplying every need (Philippians 4:19), but His idea of what we need is often different from ours, and His timing will only occasionally meet our expectations. For example, we may see our need as riches or advancement, but perhaps God knows that what truly we need is a time of poverty, loss or solitude. When this happens, we are in good company. God loved both Job and Elijah, but He allowed Satan to absolutely pound Job (all under His watchful eye), and He let that evil woman, Jezebel, break the spirit of His own prophet Elijah (Job 1–2; 1 Kings 18–19). In both cases, God followed these trials with restoration and sustenance.

These “negative” aspects of the kingdom run counter to a heresy which is gaining ground around the world, the so-called "prosperity" gospel. A growing number of false teachers are gathering followers under the message “God wants you to be rich!” But that philosophy is not the counsel of the Bible—and it is certainly not the counsel of Matthew 6:33, which is not a formula for gaining wealth. It is a description of how God works. Jesus taught that our focus should be away from this world—its status and its lying allurements—and placed upon the things of God’s kingdom.

Source(s): Suggested reading Cure for the Common Life By: Max Lucado http://www.christianbook.com/cure-for-the-common-l...
  • Kjw47

The kingdom of God is eternal life on a paradise earth under the rule of Gods kingdom--no satan influence-- one needs to walk the narrow cramped path that leads to this life--it will be a very hard thing to do that is why few will find it. One needs to study Gods word to learn his will for us, and apply it to our everyday lives now--it takes years of hard study to learn most of it. but there was also another point Jesus said in that statement--Keep on seeking first the kingdom and his( Jehovah) righteousness, and all will be added. Jehovah is Jesus,s God--rev 3:12 and Father 1 cor 15:24-28--psalm 83:18.

• The Kingdom of God is, in our present age, putting God first in our lives. In the future it will be an actual Kingdom with God on His throne ruling from New Jerusalem.

In the meantime, in this age, we are instructed to live by every word of God.

Proverbs 30:5 ESV Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.

Matthew 4:4 KJV But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 GNB (13) After all this, there is only one thing to say: Have reverence for God, and obey his commands, because this is all that we were created for. (14) God is going to judge everything we do, whether good or bad, even things done in secret.

2 Timothy 3:14-17 GNB But as for you, continue in the truths that you were taught and firmly believe. You know who your teachers were, (15) and you remember that ever since you were a child, you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. (16) All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching the truth, rebuking error, correcting faults, and giving instruction for right living, (17) so that the person who serves God may be fully qualified and equipped to do every kind of good deed.

1 John 5:1-3 GNB Whoever believes that Jesus is the Messiah is a child of God; and whoever loves a father loves his child also. (2) This is how we know that we love God's children: it is by loving God and obeying his commands. (3) For our love for God means that we obey his commands. And his commands are not too hard for us,

• baccus

Ok, to begin with, you have got to be open to reality... Let each guy be a liar & God be precise... Then learn the phrase of God & don't be amazed or worried the least bit whether or not if flies within the face of conventional Christian ideals... I even have now not discovered a Bible that's translated best... minor matters right here & there are going to be discovered to be imperfect... for instance, did Jesus say the mustard seed is the least of all seeds? This could certainly be an unfaithful assertion, but that's what the KJV says in conjunction with many different translations... however whilst you learn it within the customary Greek... he truthfully says the mustard seed is mikros from which we get the phrase micro, which means small, little, or tiny... he does now not upload the phrases of all, nor does he say that it's smaller than the poppy seed, which it undoubtedly is not... so even the translators of the Bible have further lies to the translations... but, God remains to be precise... & you are going to be taught this, whilst you learn the phrase of God ample to admire the precepts... for it's principle (suggestion)_ upon principle... To search the Kingdom of God, one have got to search what makes the Kingdom of God the Kingdom of God, the Lordship & presence of God himself... God is a Spirit, the Holy Spirit is God's Spirit. So then search the Gift of God, that's being born once more of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit of reality. Begin with the proper middle toward the reality... people who reject the reality of the Spirit to thrill guys, & to acquire honor from one one more... how can they acquire the honour which comes from God best? So start with the proper middle... The sacrifices of God are a contrite middle. A contrite middle God is not going to despise or abhor, however will recieve. Be sufferer, as you are going to take plenty of prep paintings. & search to have an understanding of who Christ is. Allow your self to be pressured within the phrase of God... however be sufferer, for with a contrite middle, He will educate you. So that's in which to start. Hope this is helping.

The whole scripture is actually as the following.

33 But seek first the kingdom (of God) and his righteousness,* and all these things will be given you besides. God is telling us to seek Him and in return everything we are seeking for and need will be given to us.

read the chapter right before

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[i] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

The kingdom of God are the Words themselves. Everything that was ever created including heaven and cosmos were created with the Word, we were created with the Word, The Word was cast down to the earth and became as one of us and it, the Word dwelt among us.

You shall eat my flesh and drink my blood, for the creator of the Word sent me into the world so that I may speak the Word directly to you.

For I have given unto them the Words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.

John 17:8 (KJV)

The KINGDOM of HEAVEN are the WORDS spoken by JESUS, HIMSELF.

The heavens and earth shall pass away but MY WORDS shall not pass away.

If ye continue in MY WORD, then are ye my disciples indeed;

And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. John 8:31-32 (KJV)

For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak. John 12:49-50 (KJV)

,

Jesus already told you "believers" and no-believers alike! And you killed him for it! And thanks to Colonel Jessup who profoundly said, "You can't handle the truth." He was talking to you.

When asked where was the Kingdom of God, Jesus said, "Within." But people didn't want to hear that "truth"...which nobody heard. They were too busy being pissed off and plotting his arrest for being a false Messiah...which he never said he was anyway.

And so he was murdered, not because of that absurd "save the sinners" story, but because he (as the Messiah, which he wasn't) was expected in Israel for one reason...to lead a revolt to drive the Romans out. It didn't happen and they nailed him for blasphemy...the bogus King of the Jews story which he never committed or claimed.

So where is the Kingdom of God (aka truth), good Christian? It's certainly not in you church nor in your bibles! But inside YOU! But again, I doubt you'll see it. (sigh) 8>(

And that makes sense to me,

Donny (Life Coach)

Source(s): Thinking for myself which is verboten by believers. Terrifying, actually!

the dominion of God. the command of the King. His righteousness.

the term righteousness is rendered in hebrew, 'right ways'. now the verse makes greater sense. seek first the judgment of God and His right ways and everything else will be added.

That essentially means, get saved before all else. You see, every human being born into this world is born spiritually dead in our trespasses and sins, through the Adamic sin nature, serving Satan in his kingdom of darkness, spiritually cut off from God the Father, and on our way to hell - that's everybody without exception and right from birth. That's why Jesus said you must be born all over again (John 3:3) - not of our mother's womb again, but of God (John 1: 12 & 13), through Jesus Christ the only way to the Father (John 14:6), by water (that's baptism) and Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5) - THAT'S THE ONLY WAY INTO gOD'S KINGDOM BY WATER AND SPIRIT (John 3:5) - by being water baptised as an adult, by full immersion, in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19) into Jesus Christ's death and resurrection and buried with Him by baptism into His death (Rom 6: 3 & 4). During a baptism of repentance for the remission of our sins (Mark 1:4, Acts 2:38) Jesus Christ comes with Holy Spirit, Matt 3:11, Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16, John 1:33) and Himself washes us from our sins in His own blood (Rev 1:5), when we are buried with Christ by baptism into His death (Rom 6: 3 & 4). Then God can crucify for us, our old man (Rom 6:6) which is our old Adamic sin nature. God will also adopt us into His family, through the Spirit of Adoption and we will even have a witness of that fact (Rom 8: 15 -17), for we are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus and water baptism (Galatians 3: 26 & 27).

Baptism now also saves us....through Christ's resurrection (1 Peter 3:21). We are saved by the washing of regeneration (water baptism) and renovation of the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5).

So you see, in order to enter God's kingdom you must repent (or perish Luke 13: 3 & 5) and be water baptised by Jesus Christ with the Holy Spirit, and you will enter God's kingdom through Jesus Christ by water and Spirit and be born all over again of God.

When you are obedient to do this, God will deliver you OUT OF Satan's kingdom of darkness which you were born into (as we all were) and translate you INTO the kingdom of His dear Son (Col 1:13).

Look up the scriptures I have given and you will see this is truly so. "He who believes AND IS BAPTISED shall be saved " (Mark 16: 16).