The difference between 16 & 18g nose piercings?

I just got my nose pierced, & I know I won't be able to change it for at least a month, but I want to buy the jewelry sooner but it seems to be difficult to buy 16 gauge nose jewelry because that's what I remember the guy saying he used on me. I've seen a lot of 18g jewelry so I was wondering if the piercing is bigger but you use a smaller ring later on? Or should I look harder for a 16g?

Okay thanks Sean. I've just been looking at studs with flowers or other little designs. I just didn't know whether I should risk buying the 18 or not. I didn't choose the size. I just got randomly talked into getting the piercing while waiting for my tattoo & just heard him say it was a 16g. :)

Btw I found http://s1.hubimg.com/u/557808_f520.jpg which makes the 2 look very similar & it shows that the larger the number, the smaller the hole.

• Sean
    Favorite Answer

the way gauges work is the smaller the number the bigger it is, most piercers will pierce you with an 18 gauge for a new piercing (unless its a tongue in which case its a 14 g) and once it heals usually they bump you up to 16, however an 18 gauge is a good size for a nose stud, a 16 would only be good for a hoop or perhaps a septum piercing. let it heal then stick with studs, they look better anyways

Source(s): ive had lots of piercings, and have a few friends that are piercers and tattoo artists

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I just got my nose pierced, & I know I won't be able to change it for at least a month, but I want to buy the jewelry sooner but it seems to be difficult to buy 16 gauge nose jewelry because that's what I remember the guy saying he used on me. I've seen a lot of 18g jewelry so I was...

Source(s): difference 16 18g nose piercings: https://shortly.im/yJ1a1
  • bowker

18g Nose Stud

• tice

18g Nose Ring

The bigger number the smaller the size. 18 is very small, and 16 is a little bigger.

18g nose piercings are 2g bigger than 16g nose piercings. :).