General Under Honorable Conditions Discharge?

I am getting separated from the Navy after 4 years under this type of Discharge for alcohol treatment failure. Any idea of the benefits i can receive, i.e unemployment, GI bill (which i paid for) etc. any info can help! thanks

Already have been to the military's highest level of treatment, SARP level III,hence the discharge for alcohol treatment failure (got drunk at the holiday party). I assume i can keep most benefits, but have read a plethora of mixed reviews.

@badta I have heard a lot of mixed things regarding GI bill benefits. That it is a case by case ordeal. I heard that straight from VA reps in SARP. Also that my discharge is more than likely upgradeable after 6 months. I know the Navy views alcoholism as an incurable disease, which leans more towards the medical side. I literally get out of the navy tomorrow and am more concerned with unemployment right now than the GI bill since I can deal with that down the road and the job market is straight garbage...

Favorite Answer

i can not believe the stupid people who answer questions here without knowing what they are talking about. the key word here is UNDER honorable conditions. it is basically the same as an honorable. you get ALL your benefits. ALL your benefits. i know because i got the same thing and lost nothing. i even turned around and got a civil service job working for the military after i got my other than honorable conditions discharge. i also failed alcohol rehab.

• Matt Wold5 years agoReport

So because I have a general under honorable conditions then please help me understand why I am paying for all of my college and not eligible for a GI bill....

Yes GI benefits (MGIB and post 9/11) normally require a full honorable discharge. However, there is a section on the GI Bill website that describes a situation where an discharge other than fully honorable could yield GI Bill benefits if it was "related to a non-disabling physical or mental condition that did not result from misconduct but prevented the member from performing duties existed". Alcohol dependence may be considered such a condition?

You've lost your GI Bill benefits. You must receive an honorable discharge to be eligible for the GI Bill benefits. That seems to be the only benefit you've actually lost.

You cannot reenlist into to Navy or enlist in any other branch of the military.

Under some circumstances you may eventually have your discharge upgraded to Honorable.

You qualify for all VA benefits with a general under honorable condition discharge

it depends cause the local va will what to see all your discharge papers including your dd-214 and they will fill out the paper and the board will decide if you get any benefits but since you failed your treatment program it will be hard

i my self is a disable vet 16 years active duty

Talk to the VA. You can get alcohol rehab.

Take that **** serious bro it cost you a career hopefully it won't take your life. I have seen alcohol destroy to much.

Daniel, get yourself a cup and set on a street corner asking "Buddy ya got a dime." McDonald's don't even hire drunks....................