Is the area around The United Center (Chicago, West Side) safe at night?

I'm going to a game tomorrow night. There's all these rumors going around about how that area is

"ghetto", or how people get jumped. My sister used to live in Chicago for about seven years, and she said the area is a lot better than it used to be.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

The area is not a complete slum, and it is s-l-o-w-l-y improving after being horrible for 60+ years. It could gentrify over the next 20 years, but that won't help you this week.

If you arrive and leave the same time as the crowds, it is probably OK. Stay on busy, well-lighted streets and do NOT show off anything that a thief might like (cell phones, iPods, jewelry, credit cards, etc.). Make no eye contact with panhandlers or bums.

The area SOUTH of the nearby Eisenhower Expressway is reasonably safe until midnight. It is occupied by the University of Illinois at Chicago, numerous hospitals, the Italian Village neighborhood, etc.

The only semi-safe north-south street linking the United Center to this area is Damen Avenue. There is a CTA Blue Line station at Damen and the Eisenhower Expy, and some of the fans will probably use it.

• 4 years ago

Well obviously you'll be coming in via public transportation. There aren't any El trains that run too close to the UC, the closest station is on the green line at the Ashland stop which is several blocks away from the UC and a stroll through a pretty rough part of town. Taking a CTA bus or a taxi is probably your best option, a CTA 20 bus will take you right to the UC, You'll want to get on a bus that is heading towards Madison and Austin terminal and the UC stop is called Madison and United Center. Just a little heads up, this isn't a very good part of Chicago to be wandering around in just go to the UC and then once the game is over get back downtown or wherever you have to go quickly.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I wouldn't walk around there by myself at night, just go with the event crowd and you should be fine. It's not as bad going to the east of the U.C., but you wouldn't want to walk to the west or north or even south of the building. If you take the #20 bus along Madison you can get back downtown pretty quickly. It's too bad the pink line doesn't have a station at Madison that would serve the U.C. pretty good.

• 3 years ago

United Centre

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Stay on Madison before and after the game and do not go west of the stadium. There will be 20,000+ people walking around so you will be more than fine. If you want to get something to eat or hang out before or after the game, do it anywhere East of Ashland (which is about 3 or 4 blocks east of the stadium).

Source(s): I live 3 blocks west of the stadium. Not a good area.
  • 8 years ago

Yea, I wouldn't be too comfortable going around that area. Especially at night.

• flower
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

It's not bad if you drive in and drive out.Just don't go walking around at night by yourself.

• 8 years ago

its ok around the UC but don't venture to far

its not in the best of neighborhoods

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.