What's the best digital piano or keyboard?

I'm a piano enthusiast who has played for nearly 2 decades. I'm particular about the feel of the keys because I'm used to a baby grand but I live in a small apartment now and only have room for a keyboard. I don't care about different effects or features; the only important qualities are the feel and sound quality.

Oh yeah, and I'm a poor recent college grad and I need something cheap.

I've been comparing the Korg sp 170, Caso CDP-120, and Casio PX-130. All three seem nice but since I'm looking online and can't find them in any local music stores, I can't compare them for myself. Does anyone have any tips for me? Thanks

Favorite Answer

Piano player of 30 years speaking here..

There is only one thing you can do to know the answer to your question. Get your hands on the piano in question and PLAY it before buying. No one's opinion is more important than your own in this matter.

You can look at all the reviews you can on the internet.. and this will guide you away from poorly made stuff.. but in order to know how it plays and sounds.. your hands and ears are the only judge of any importance. If you live in a smaller town.. plan on a trip to a large city and arrange ahead of time with a large music store to make sure they have what you want to play/hear before you get there.

The three you mentioned really don't qualify as "the best digital piano" ... there you've got to look at instruments like the Roland VPiano, Kawai MP-10, or Yamaha CP-1

Of the three you've mentioned, I think the PX-130 is the best compromise. The Korg has the best sound, but to me the keyboard, while perfectly fine, feels a little "spongy". The CDP-120 is nice as well, but the cost savings aren't worth the limited polyphony compared with the PX-130.

• Norm

Trust me on this one -- get the Korg. Casios don't have a good feel and they sound cheesy. IMHO Roland makes the best digital pianos but they're incredibly expensive. I actually like the sound and feel of the Korg digital pianos over that of the Yamahas, and everyone raves about Yamaha -- that is, until they see the price tag!

Source(s): Piano player since age 5 (almost 40 years)

he comprado de muchas veces en los sitios web y también un par de pianos, el piano que le he comprado la ultima vez ha sido un piano especial para un niño especial, como valía una pequeña fortuna, aunque estaba el mejor precio, el piano tenía que llegar perfecto, y exactamente como en descripción ha sido, perfecto, de verdad una buena compra que ha merecido todo el dinero.