Starting a Business in Pennsylvania?

I am starting a Photography Business in Pennsylvania...

I of course want to make 110% sure I do everything correctly in every aspect. Can anyone help me with what needs to be done in my state to start your own business. I have been reading up on this matter for months and it seems so many sites, forums, blogs and even books say a lot of the same thing however they say some different things as well.

I have already obtained my EIN number.

Any help would be great thank you.

• Henry
    Favorite Answer

Go to http://www.score.org/mentors and enter your zip code. On the next screen, you will get information on the nearest SCORE chapter. Call them and arrange for a free meeting with a volunteer SCORE mentor. They will guide you through the process.

SCORE is a nonprofit association dedicated to entrepreneur education and the formation, growth and success of small business nationwide and is a resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

SCORE has 350 chapters in locations throughout the United States and its territories, with 13,000 volunteers nationwide. Both working and retired executives and business owners donate time and expertise as business mentors.

The very first thing you'll want to do is determine which business structure is best for you. For example, a sole proprietorship will be quick, easy, and low-cost to form, but it will not provide you with limited liability protection, so if your business is sued, you'll be sued. Another example: both C corporations and S corporations provide limited liability protection, but one experiences double-taxation (where the corporate income is taxed, and then shareholder distributions are taxed at the personal level) and one avoid is (only the individual shareholders are taxed). This is a roundabout way of saying that you need to determine which type of business you should form -- and this all depends on your own situation, goals, and priorities.

Since a photography business is not likely to be sued (not like a physical therapy business where someone could potentially be injured, for example) and you probably don't have a lot of money tied up in overhead where you might default on a loan, it sounds like a sole proprietorship (called a Fictitious Name in Pennsylvania) will suit you just fine -- but definitely consult with a legal advisor.

Once you've determined which type of business you want to file, it's a simple matter to determine your requirements: fill out the correct form (the state's sole proprietorship / Fictitious Name information is linked below), submit it with filing fee, alert the IRS, and call your state, county, and local governments to obtain any licenses or permit requirements you may need.

You'll also want to look into Model Release forms, Work For Hire forms, and other intellectual property management tools so that it's clear for every project who owns the pictures and what may be done with them.

Good luck!

Congrats on starting your own business, it's very exciting. Not sure whether you're photography business will feature a reception room for clients to wait before their sitting, but you can shop for reception room furniture at http://www.acisco.com. You can also check out other office furniture as well as modular cubicles. Good luck!