Question for atheist & agnostics. Atheist are said to be better informed about Christianity ....?

than most Christians . Of all religions or beliefs you have examined which do you have most regard for or find the most believable even though you don't accept it ? Would you name some that you took the time to learn about? Which spiritual teacher (guru, prophet) do you have the most respect or admiration for even though you are not a follower?

Favorite Answer

Thatt's more like several questions in one post. Okay:

1. Atheists are more informed about Christianity, because they don't just take Christianity at face value. They have obviously questioned it's validity and taken the time to research it in order to come to a conclusion about it- hence learning about it's history as well as its faults. People who believe unquestioningly have no problem with it- so why would they bother to research it?

2. I very much respect Buddhism because it promotes peace and tolerance (not the elusive "tolerance" that certain other religions harp on about *cough* Christianity *cough* Islam) and respect for all living things. Also, I know for sure that Siddhartha Gautama existed, and he never claimed to have extraordinary powers, nor try to coerce anyone into believing in him *cough* God. Plus, the Dalai Lama is just a cool man. I am an animal lover, and the footage of him chastising everyone who wore animal skins gained my utter respect.

I also think that Pagan religions (Wicca) seem pretty badass (my skeptical side aside). The followers seem tolerant and laidback, so yeah!

3. I take time to research all religions because I'm constantly asked by people "WHY DON'T YOU BELIEVE IN SO AND SO???!!!???!!". I get that from my friends as well as my family *rolls eyes* Criticising something while being ill informed about the topic is ignorant as well as arrogant. Some examples of religions I've taken time to learn about: Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, Wicca and some more.

4. I don't have any that I admire, really.

Ex-Atheist here.

I have heard and read more positive from Atheists about the Baha'i Faith than all other religions combined. And generally what I hear or read that is negative comes from a lack of information. For example, I have read on this forum about how Baha'is are just after everyone's money like all the other religions. Truth is that if you are not officially enrolled as a Baha'i and try to make a donation, you will be politely refused. For enrolled Baha'is, donating comes well down on the list, and any and all donations are strictly voluntary and confidential. First on the list is taking care of your family's needs, next is regularly putting away something for your retirement, and then, and only then, should you consider donating a small portion of what is left.

I am going to go out on a limb, but it is a sturdy one indeed, and based on years of personal experience as well as reading of others, but ...

If an Atheist takes the time to inform him/herself about the Baha'i Faith as well as they do about Christianity, the odds of them not embracing the Baha'i Faith themselves is slim indeed. That is why I can say, and say with great confidence ...

Some people claim all faith is blind, but my faith is a carefully considered, carefully reasoned and very reasonable, rational and defensible faith. Were atheist Stephen Roberts (1901-1971) standing in front of me this moment, I would say back to him, “I contend that we are both men of faith. I just have faith in one more thing than you do, and for very good reason. When you fully understand why I disdain all the devisers of superstitions and dismiss the gods of vain imaginings, you will understand why I believe in my God, and you will believe also." -- B. Knott Wildered (Not my real name, but the quote is mine.)

"Wildered" is an archaic word meaning to mislead or to be misled, ergo my nom de plume simply means do not be misled. By the by, I have studied far more religions than most people know exist, and was once one of the staunchest and strongest Atheists you will ever meet.

And what other religion puts Atheists in such a positive light? (See quote below)

*********************

The Jews await the Messiah, the Christians the return of Christ, the Muslims the Mahdi, the Buddhists the fifth Buddha, the Zoroastrians Shah Bahram, the Hindus the reincarnation of Krishna, and the Atheists - a better social organization! Baha'u'llah represents all these, and thus destroys the rivalries and the enmities of the different religions; reconciles them in their primitive purity, and frees them from the corruption of dogmas and rites.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Tablets of Abdu'l-Baha v1, p. vii)

Uh... a million. Atheist two. Raised Roman/Ukrainian Catholic, grew to be an atheist at age 14. three. (five) four. (five) - *have* studied a few historical mythologies and latest religions five. A. African Traditional & Diasporic - (a million) B. Baha'i- (zero) C. Buddhism - (two.five) D. Cao Dai - (zero) E. Chinese conventional faith - (zero) F. Christianity - (five) F1. Anglican - (a million) F2 Christadelphian - (zero) F3. Christian Science - (a million) F4. Ebionite - (zero) F5. Gnostic - (three) F6. Greek Orthodox - (three) F7. Jehovah Witness - (two) F8. Messianic Jew - (three) F9. Mormon - (three) F10. Oriental Orthodox - (zero) F11. Protestant - (four) F12. Quaker - (three) F13. Roman Catholic - (6) F14. Russian Orthodox - (five) F15. Seventh Day Adventist - (zero) F16. The Way - (zero) G. Hinduism - (two) H. Islam - (two) H1. Shi'ite - (a million) H2. Sunni - (a million) I. Jainism - (two) J. Juche - (zero) K. Judaism - (two) K1 Conservative - (three) K2 Reform - (three) K3 Orthodox - (three) K4 Reconstructionist - (zero) L. Native American religions L1. North American tribes/civilizations - (two) L2. South American tribes/civilizations - (two) M. Neo-Paganism - (three.five) N. primal-indigenous (rather then American) - (a million) zero. Rastafarianism - (two) P, Scientology - (two.five) Q. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Athei... - (five) R. Shinto - (two) S. Sikhism - (zero) T. Spiritism - (a million) U. Taoism - (two.five) V. Tenrikyo - (zero) W. Unitarian-Universalism - (two.five) X. Zoroastrianism - (two) 6. I'm open to finding out any/all elements of any/all religions, as I like finding out/know-how special views. I'm a poet, I bet that is why.

None of them. Any belief system based on a omnipotent being, with no evidence to support the claim, is absolutely admirable. I find it funny that Christians in America will look down on Mormonism or Scientology, as it their beliefs are any less believable as their own.

I have a lot of time for the Pagans/Wiccans (my apologies to them if it is inappropriate to group them like that). I'm a qualified ecologist, so the nature-based religions do have a certain appeal.

Not only that, I've seen Pagans and Wiccans come to the defence of atheists here on R&S. They seem very tolerant people. And I've never seen them preach to us or tried to convert us. They're just happy to hang out on here and make friends. What more could you ask from a religion?

• I've always been a fan of the more philosophical Taoism. It suits my determinism. There is a more magical side to it also, which is a little embarrassing.

• I like Buddha. Mostly because of this line: “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”

maybe Buddhism, though for philosophical reasons rather than religious. also a dead guy called elias

None.

“The wisest men follow their own direction.”

― Euripides