Ryan asked in TravelFranceOther - France · 8 years ago

I'm planning a trip around France, how long should I stay in each city without being completely rushed?

I'm going to be travelling around France, but I can't decide how long I should stay in each city. I've chosen the cities I will go to and what order. I can do a maximum of 6 days in each place (90 day limit). I will mostly be doing sightseeing. And I'm going alone. I don't want to be super rushed, I want to be able to take everything in.

Bordeaux:

Lourdes:

Toulouse:

Montpellier:

St. Saturnin: 1 Day

Avignon: 1 Day

Marseille:

Nice:

Grenoble:

Lyon:

Saint-Etienne: 1 Day

Strasbourg:

Rouen:

Le Mont Saint Michel: 1 Day

Angers: ½ Day

Saumur: ½ Day

Tours: ½ Day

Amboise: ½ Day

Blois: ½ Day

Paris: 11 Days

Versailles: 1 Day

Vernon: 1 Day

Paris: 5 Days

(Depart from Paris back to Canada)

Are there any other must see places around the places I will be going? I love sightseeing and photography, much more than shopping, so I'd love it if anyone knew some must see places.

• zafir
    Favorite Answer

Unless you are a pilgrim you might want to spend only a day or two in Lourdes although, apart from the Grotto and Sanctuaries, there are plenty of other places to do day trips to from Lourdes, such as Pau, Tarbes, bus to the Cirque de Garvanie and do a little hiking, take the funicular up the Pic de Jer and walk down.

Avignon deserves more than one day. Spend at least two days there and see Avignon on one day, and the next day cross the river and look around Villeneuve-lez-Avignon which has two old monasteries, the Fort St Andre castle, and the Philipe le Bel tower, among other medieval sites.

There are several little towns called St Saturnin in France, and I'm not sure which one you're referring to, but it might be done as a day trip from the nearest city.

Spend a bit more time in the Loire chateaux area, perhaps stay in Tours and the do day trips to the various chateaux.

Versailles can be a day trip from Paris, and you have time there to include day trips to Chartres and Fontainebleau. Actually you seem to have 17 days in Paris which, surprisingly, might be a little too much. So you could easily add a day or two to the other places you want to visit.

Forget Saint-Etienne, there is nothing much to see there, it's a very industrial place. As you are planning going there from Lyon, could I suggest you take the same train line and change trains at St-Etienne for Le-Puy-en-Velay and stay there for a couple of nights. This is a small town, one of the traditional French starting points for the walking pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. The town is built in an old volcanic area and two of the highlights are a statue and a little church both built on top of volcanic peaks. The Cathedral is also quite different to most you see in France.

Another city you might like is Dijon which has some beautiful medieval half-timbered houses, so you could do Lyon, Le-Puy-en-Velay, Dijon (via Lyon) then Strasbourg.

Bordeaux: 2-3 days

Lourdes:1/2 day

Toulouse: 2-3 days

Montpellier: 2 days

St. Saturnin: 1 Day

Avignon: 1 Day

Marseille: 2-3 days

Nice: 3-4 days

Grenoble: 2 days

Lyon: 3-4 days

Saint-Etienne: 1 Day

Strasbourg: 2 days

Rouen: 2-3 days

Le Mont Saint Michel: 1 Day

Angers: ½ Day

Saumur: ½ Day

Tours: ½ Day

Amboise: ½ Day

Blois: ½ Day

Paris: 11 Days

Versailles: 1 Day

Vernon: 1 Day

Paris: 5 Days

(Depart from Paris back to Canada)

St Malo - one day

St Michele - one day

Dieppe & honfleur & tapestry of bayeux = all on one day

Avignon - one day

Dune du Pilat Archarchon - one day

Versailes - one day

Chartres Cathedral - one day

Take a tour of the Loire valley when you are in Paris and see some of the chateaus IE: Alzay le rideau, chenonceau and chambord.

Hello Sorry you cant rush like this . I can only suggest that in your first trip to France go to the main cities like Paris , Toulouse etc., Many 'cities' you have mentioned here are actually places to visit inside Paris for eg :Versailles. Paris itself requires a min of 2 whole days. Also depends on if U have your own vehicle or will be using public transport. To see all the cities you have mentioned above it will take a min of 3 weeks .

• Orla C

You're not taking into account the distance between those cities and the time required to travel them.

Versailles is easily reached from Paris, and you'll probably find that a month in Paris is not enough.

This not a trip it is a marathon, and you will nothing from it, except some touristy stuff...

Saint Etienne is a great city, it is one of the top European city when it comes to modern design, nearby you can visit a building by Le Corbusier. You can ski in winter, hike all year long, (trails established by Jean Jacques Rousseau) and Windsurfing... Houses dating from the middle age are still inhabited. etc etc