Can amish people vote?

I know that legally they can. But can Amish people that live in these Amish communities vote for president, etc, because of their "religions" that can't use modern technology... I don't know that much about Amish people, so please forgive me if I offended anyone or.got anything wrong

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Yes, Amish people are allowed to vote if they wish to do so. Just like the general public, some do and some don't. They tend to be more interested in their local and state elections than the national elections.

Source(s): Reside in an area with a large population and interact with Amish people on a regular basis.
  • 8 years ago

Voting is an unconventional concept, as Amish traditionally consider it unseemly. Political involvement means compromising on one's ideals.

Another hurdle to voting is that most of them don't have photo ID, and traveling into town to vote is more inconvenient when using horsepower.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

According to Amish.net

http://www.amish.net/faq.asp

They CAN but they don't vote in national elections, only in state and local elections, and they do so only if/when it has a direct bearing on their own issues.

And thank you for asking. Without you prompting me to do this, I wouldn't have tried to look this up. It's a lot of interesting stuff in Amish.net.

• 8 years ago

Most don't. They choose to leave government up to everyone else, letting God decide outcomes of elections instead of participating themselves.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Only if they vote for Obama

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No but they're good at putting together Chinese fireplaces.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.