Can amish people vote?

I know that legally they can. But can Amish people that live in these Amish communities vote for president, etc, because of their "religions" that can't use modern technology... I don't know that much about Amish people, so please forgive me if I offended anyone or.got anything wrong

Best Answer

Yes, Amish people are allowed to vote if they wish to do so. Just like the general public, some do and some don't. They tend to be more interested in their local and state elections than the national elections.

Source(s): Reside in an area with a large population and interact with Amish people on a regular basis.

Voting is an unconventional concept, as Amish traditionally consider it unseemly. Political involvement means compromising on one's ideals.

Another hurdle to voting is that most of them don't have photo ID, and traveling into town to vote is more inconvenient when using horsepower.

• Mark

According to Amish.net

http://www.amish.net/faq.asp

They CAN but they don't vote in national elections, only in state and local elections, and they do so only if/when it has a direct bearing on their own issues.

And thank you for asking. Without you prompting me to do this, I wouldn't have tried to look this up. It's a lot of interesting stuff in Amish.net.

Most don't. They choose to leave government up to everyone else, letting God decide outcomes of elections instead of participating themselves.

Only if they vote for Obama

No but they're good at putting together Chinese fireplaces.