Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 8 years ago

Should I allow nudes in my photography class?

I'm teaching a college photography class (freshman and sophomores at a community college) and a couple of students have approached me about wanting to turn in nudes for their assignments. We allow nudes for drawing and sculpture but I'm not sure about photography. The dean says it's up to me if I want to allow it or not.

Maybe I should ask for a consent form to make sure they are of age? Or a copy of the model's ID?

Favorite Answer

Everyone is over 18 so if your dean doesn't have a problem and the art is tasteful, let them turn in nudes since it's no less valid than drawing or sculpture.

Interesting question. I've seen it a lot more up here, then down in Brasil (where I served my LDS mission [totally amazing place, might I add], which leads me to believe that they either don't know too much about it, or simply don't care. Me personally, I think it's probably the lack of general knowledge on the subject. On another side note--Brasil is a HUGE melting pot. I have no idea where the church leadership would even draw the line on who would be allowed to have the priesthood or not. Skin color is all over the spectrum and every shade in between. It even varies in children of the same parents quite significantly. You've already got lots of great answers, and I just wanted to give you an additional flavor or side to consider with this. On another side note, the priesthood has lots of historical precedent of being rather restricted. If I (your typical male Caucasian) had lived in the OT days, I would have been denied the Aaronic Priesthood--it was restricted to the lineage of Aaron at the time. Shifting gears completely, from what I understand, the church had been under social pressures for a long time to change it's policies on the matter. I think that if the brethren were looking for an easier time to get out, they could have picked a more socially convenient time. Anyway. I hope that was an enlightening answer. G'Night!

There's nothing wrong with non-sexual nudes. Though it's legal to take and display underage nudes, to protect the university, and yourself, require that the models sign a release. To do so, they have to be at least 18. Don't allow a parent or guardian signature of someone under age.

Yeah I think you should allow it but with a signed consent form from the model and his/her parents if they're underage. Also a copy of the model's ID as an added precaution.

Absolutely! By not allowing it you could really be holding back a student that has amazing potential in that specific form of photography. Best of luck to you! Sounds like a wonderful career!!

• Alan S

Yes, but I think they need to sign a release form and provide ID to prove they are at least 18. You should make a photocopy of their ID and keep it in case you are ever questioned later. Most likely you wouldn't ask them most of what's asked in the Playboy form. I don't know if you need their address or other contact information (although you might if they are being paid), but you'd probably get in a lot of trouble if you asked them their ethnicity, and people would probably be upset if you asked them their bust size.

Source(s): http://www.playboy.com/girls/pose-for-playboy/onli... - This is the online Playboy application. This might be a useful guide as to minimum ages and what type of ID to accept, since a company like Playboy would be very careful to make sure that all their models are of legal age. I don't know if the models are asked for more proof of age if they advance to the photo shoot.
  • Ian

I think YOU should do the nude modeling. That saves money, all the kids will love you and enrollment will double next semester. It's a win/win for everyone.

Seems a little risky to me because if the people in the photographs happen to be underage, then it's possible you might be held accountable as well.. I personally wouldn't if it were my class.

Do it if you're confortable with it

Nude is wrong no matter what, only spouses should see nudity.