Has Christianity and Jesus caused more harm than good?

Giordano Bruno was burnt to death because he rightly knew the earth revolved around the sun.

A pregnant woman was also burned alive and from the trauma, she gave birth before she died. The baby was tossed back into the flames.

A torturing method used by christians on atheists/victims......

Xtian clergy delighted in the tearing and ripping of the flesh. The Catholic church learned a human being could live until the skin was peeled down to the waist when skinned alive. Often, the rippers were heated to red hot and used on women's breasts and in the genitalia of both sexes.

THIS IS A JUST A FEW EXAMPLES COMPARED TO THE NIGHTMARE THE REAL HELL ON EARTH CAUSE BY CHRISTIANITY.

Update:

Bringing you a Ray of Sunshine everyday enjoy :)

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Mike K
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

Hello Sunshine,

More good:

1) In spite of the fact there are those who are total failures as Christians as some you describe, Christianity still does cage the beast in a lot of people and has turned them around.

2) As an "analogy", are all American soldiers and their armies murderers, war criminals or perverts because of the actions of Lt. Calley or those who ran the Iranian prison let alone those peeing away on dead bodies as of late?

3) I do not buy this argument about progress being slowed. I'm sure many here would be the first to agree that the church did not interfere with the development of weapons or machines of malice by the seculars. Well it still took a good 600 years to go from the primitive fire tube and stone ball to the machine gun and assault rifle and far eastern powers who had nothing to do with Christianity and rejected it never had the steam locomotive in the 12th century let alone the first flight in the 13th and a man on the moon by the early 14th did they?

Cheers,

Michael Kelly

• 8 years ago

Jesus had caused no harm to anybody, Christianity has caused no harm to anybody, however there are those who had caused harm in the name of Christianity.

Let's look it like this, Jesus taught His disciples about showing forgiveness and love towards others. Even during the times when the Magistrium of the Church was corrupted, there were many Christians who held to the good moral teachings of Jesus. The reason for the corruption did not come from God, but rather the weakness of men who wanted to rule instead of serve. But as it is there has not been much corruption within the Magistrium of the Church as one may be lead to believe. There has been actually more good which came from the Magistrium of the Church versus the bad which came from the Magistrium of the Church. The Church itself is 2000 years old and has had 266 Popes, out of that 266 Popes there were many who did extraordinary good things for others and there were many who served instead of ruled. Only about less than a dozen Popes did some really wicked things, but they like us are human and being human they can also commit sins and make mistakes. Even the 1st Pope the Apostle St. Peter sinned and made mistakes, but it was Jesus who entrusted His Church to the care of men.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12272b.htm

There is a reason why most of the Popes were beatified (Blessed) or canonized (Saints). There is a correction to this list Pope John Paul II is beatified (Blessed).

• 8 years ago

The teachings of Jesus are peaceful. loving, and forgiving. However, it is true people have done heinous things in the name of Jesus. These people are not representatives of true Christianity but are politically motivated and use religion as a sword for their personal fears and ambitions. The dark ages were dark for a purpose as people had no sense of what it really meant to be Christian. Most people were kept from the teachings of Jesus and were only told what a particular priest or group wanted them to hear.

On the other hand, it was Judeo-Christianity that allowed for a rule of law that we have in the Western World today. It was the idea of tolerance and religious freedom that helped shaped the United States. It is so many religious people who freely give of themselves and their sometimes limited means to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and shelter the cold. No you do not have to be religious to do those things, but for every psycho that does evil things there are so many more who do good.

I argue that when intolerance is taught, when violence against other people is taught, when bloodshed is committed in the name of Christianity, it is an affront to Christian ideals of what Jesus taught.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Yes it has too bad all the Christians dont understand that, especially the Liberal lets make this religion peaceful Christians.

The Crusades, Inquisition, Witchtrials and Holocaust are past events, however, there are things going on in Africa, India, Haiti and many other countries that really do bother me.

Im not going to say the Muslims arent bad, because they are too, HOWEVER, Christians are a bigger threat with their Come to Jesus NOW mentality.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

I agree with you....In the name of Christianity so much bad/wrong has been done to humans in the past and still...I agree....mainly by the Roman Catholic church. Like during the time of the Dark Ages and during the Reformation many true Christians were burnt alive because they wanted to follow/read the Bible in their own language rather than following the traditions and rituals of the church...and kissing the Pope's toe.

However, Jesus has not harmed any one. If we look as his life and how he lived it he just healed and blessed so many people and was such a blessing to man kind. He always spoke the truth in love. Never was anyone so kind, loving and wise as he was - he gave all for you and me - he gave his life so that we can have life ETERNAL.

NEVER confuse the two!!!!!!!

http://www.the-ten-commandments.org/catholic_churc...

http://www.markbeast.org/mark-beast-paganism.html

http://www.who-is-the-antichrist.org

http://www.mother-of-harlots.com

• 8 years ago

I believe so, yes.

Perhaps in the modern world it has helped people sort out their lives, but it still continues to cause countless deaths. The history of Christianity is a bloody mess full of murders that the church continues to try to just brush under the rug with a casual wave of their hand.

Good day to you.

• Ray G
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The Catholic Church is the largest charitable organization in the world, feeding more bellies and educating more kids than any other human institution ever built. It is in every country and includes members from every race. It invented the university system still in use today. A Catholic named Bacon gave the world the scientific method. A Catholic named Mendel is the Father of Genetics. All over the world, the Church operates hundreds of hospitals, schools, elderly care centers, rehab centers, soup kitchens, thrift stores, etc. All of this good is done in the name of Christian charity.

To offset that, you want to hold up some historical violence that happened long ago and cannot be truly blamed on the Church.

• 8 years ago

A lot more harm than good. That ridiculous religion has delayed human progress by centuries and children are still being abused.

• Tico
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

People always use a few examples to attack but never the ones to defend. Millions of people were killed as a result of witchcraft over hundreds of years. Politics was also a problem. Then there was the daily barbarism that existed over that period that people conveniently fail to mention. Do you know what else Giordano Bruno was up to?

• JD
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

The link I posted here is of the i2 debate on the motion "Is the Catholic church a force for good in the world". It's an amazing debate with experienced and good speakers for both sides. Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry destroy the motion.

I believe watching it will be informative and answer your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kuzYwzGoXw

Youtube thumbnail

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.