AP Calculus AB test??????

I'm currently a sophomore and in a precalculus honors class. But I think the material is too easy, and have been self-studying calculus in my free time. (I've already covered derivatives, related rates, limits, higher order derivatives, maxima/minima, Riemann sums and some indefinite integrals). I want to take the AP Calc AB test in May so I can to Calculus BC next year, and then take Multivariable Calculus at a college senior year. I'm aiming for a 5.

Is this too lofty of a goal, or could I do it?

Best Answer

You do not have to take the AP Calc AB test to be able to take BC. You can just skip Calc AB entirely and go into BC, unless your school has some odd rules. I believe you just need a teacher recommendation. Calc AB awards Calc I college credit and Calc BC awards Calc I and Calc II credit. Calc BC is basically just a repeat of AB material with additional material, and also moving at a faster pace.

In fact, my teacher somewhat forced me to take Calc BC during my senior year even though I never took AB. I actually found it to be pretty easy. I never paid attention in class and basically just learned everything myself from the textbook and its practice problems. However, you probably shouldn't view me as a good example, since I am pretty strong when it comes to math. It was also a good textbook with examples accompanying the rules and properties, etc. I also had an awesome teacher who was fair with his tests, although most people in the class thought they were difficult.

Also, it seems like you are pretty decent in mathematics and since you have already self-studied calculus, you should be alright in BC. But still, I do not know you so I do not know how strong you are when it comes to math. If you are really confident in your abilities, go for it, but be warned that you might find the class to be somewhat difficult, especially if you have a bad textbook and/or teacher. But you shouldn't be too worried, the AP Calc BC test has an AB subsection and so it is possible to still get Calc I credit even if you fail the overall test.

About the AP test: When I took the test, I thought it was ridiculously hard. I guessed on a lot of the problems and left sort of a lot blank on the open responses. However, this might be because I did not prepare very well for the test. I only studied from like midnight until class time for the test. I still surprisingly passed the test though, probably since the curve for the test is so high. It's been a while so I'm not sure but you probably only need like 30% correct or so to pass it. Also, I believe everyone else in my class at least passed the test. That should give you some indication of the test. You can also look up old AP Calc open response questions and answers online.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Source(s): Took AP Calculus BC without taking AB(not entirely my choice) and got an A in the class, as well as a 5 on the AP Calc BC test and a 5 on the AB subsection. Yup, I'm a nerd.

you can do it. Just try taking practice exams on line at collegeboard.com. You will see there is a pattern amongst the free response. For calc 2 make sure you get integral really well and series and sequences. Also try taking practice exams for the calculus BC(calc 2) test.

Source(s): 5 on calc ab.

sounds to me like it's a lofty goal. It's certainly do able though. I'd talk to the calculus teacher at your school and possibly get a turtor and or a textbook for the AP class. I also highly recomend taking pretests if you can. Good Luck!

Source(s): in Calc AB