Do you agree that experience should be measured in quality of service and not quantity of years?

if you only have 2 years experience..........but look at what you accomplished during those 2 years........

Then that's good enough to be CEO in my book.

and when you hire someone............

you should be FORWARD-thinking, not backward thinking.

What you did in the past shouldn't matter...........it's all about what you plan to do in the future. It's about vision.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Both. The evaluation process has to be impartial, but in my experience, it seldom is.

First, success on the job is seldom accomplished without the involvement of others.

Second, when it comes to firing or laying off for monetary reasons, the most expensive will go or larger numbers of the less experienced, though their performance may actually be better.

Third, every evaluator brings his or her own biases to the process. I once had an administrator (former PE teacher) who thought that Language Arts should be all grammar, every day, all day: no literature or reading, very little writing, just worksheets and memorizing rules.

In the past, in teaching at least, when it came time to cut teachers, the most expensive (most senior, most educated, or both) were let go regardless of the quality of their teaching. Non-coaching teachers were let go regardless of relative quality. Buddies of the administration kept their jobs.

While it might be somewhat easier to evaluate performance in other jobs, I doubt it would be completely fair and unbiased.

What's needed is a completely impartial evaluation system before you can operate with quality as an equal factor to quantity.

Also, one problem with merit pay for teachers is that it fails to take into account that one year's class is not the same as last year's's class. One year, you may have a higher percentage of less able students than another; you might have a lower number of committed parents than another. Also, how do you measure the merit of teaching a more difficult subject compared to a less difficult one? A more subjective subject to a more objective one?

In other occupations, again, there may be other factors that make evaluations less than impartial. A company downsizes and suddenly fewer people have to do more work. How does that evaluation compare to their evaluation the previous year.

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I agree with you in general, some politicians who had the greatest seniority turned out to be senile neanderthals like Jessee Helms, Strom Thurmond, Frank Lautenberg, for example

Hope this helps

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Okay to the first part.

Regarding this "forward/backward" comparison, ....

It reminds me of the plot and certain diaolgue from an episode of Star Trek, TNG.

Episode called "Brothers." Picard returned to Earth to visit his brother Robert.

Another fellow who knew both of the Picard brothers very well said that Robert always looked to the past while Jean-Luc always looked to the future.

Do you know what Jean-Luc said to that?

Edit: I'm sorry, it was the episode called "Family," and Jean-Luc's response was "There should be room for both in this world."

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

well, it depends...

in theory, yes... but what people do in the past also often dictates what they will do in the future... not always, but often...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

are you questioning whether or not results matter?.....seriously, you have to ask?

"What you did in the past shouldn't matter"...<~~~~found the problem with liberal mentality....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.