Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Do British people generally say "mobile" instead of "cell" when referring to cell phones?

Is "cell" a strictly American slang term?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

We always say 'mobile' or 'mobile phone' or 'phone'. 'Cell' is American English.

• 6 years ago

A mobile phone and a cell phone are not the same thing, although they do fall under that generically. The British are misusing the word. Motorola has the patent on cell phones and they are the tiny ones we carry around with us. There have been mobile phones in cars, boats and other places long before we had cell phones the proper name for them according to the patent.

The first hand-held cell phone was demonstrated by John F. Mitchell and Dr. Martin Cooper of Motorola in 1973, using a handset weighing around 4.4 pounds (2 kg). In 1983, the DynaTAC 8000x was the first to be commercially available. From 1983 to 2014, worldwide mobile phone subscriptions grew from zero to over 7 billion, penetrating 100% of the global population and reaching the bottom of the economic pyramid. In 2014, the top cell phone manufacturers were Samsung, Nokia, Apple, and LG. (wikipedia)

So even though they can be carried around making them mobile in characteristics, the patent name for them is American and that is a cell phone.

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

No, I call it a cellular as does fairly plenty each and every physique else i comprehend ('cellular telephone' is an Americanism and as i'm not American/in u.s., i does not use it. Ergo i'd in no way (wrongly in those factors) call a cellular telephone a "cellular telephone" whether I did bypass to college). No, i've got not got one as the place we are residing there is not a wish in hell of ever getting a sign to make it artwork. possessing a cellular telephone that'll in no way artwork seems a reasonably pointless exercising to me.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yep We say mobile phone.

A cell to us is where prisoners are kept.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Yes

• 9 years ago

The same reason British use the term 'petrol' and Americans say 'gasolene'.

• ?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Yes we do. I think Australians call them mobiles as well. Not sure about other countries.

• 9 years ago

Its called tomato sauce ................not ketchup.

Its called vegemite ......................not marmite.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.