Opinion: memorizing maps?

I was just wondering if anyone else thought that memorizing maps (of countries) is completely useless. In these times, if you wanted to study a riegon of the world, all you have to do is LOOK at maps...memorizing them seems un-necessary...because when would you ever not have access to a map? I have noticed this... show more I was just wondering if anyone else thought that memorizing maps (of countries) is completely useless.
In these times, if you wanted to study a riegon of the world, all you have to do is LOOK at maps...memorizing them seems un-necessary...because when would you ever not have access to a map?
I have noticed this too often in my school. Whenever the classes have map tests.....everyone would freak and put all their short term memory to the test. you see them the next week (or even day) and they don't remember a thing about the map. Just the whole idea of it seems stupid.
I would like anyone's ideas. If you don't agree with me, why do you think it's important to memorize maps?