Anonymous

Will i ever get into college with my situation?

Ok so currently I'm a junior in high school. Let me explain: During freshman year my first semester I got All A's and B's, second semester of freshman year I got more A's but ended up with a D. During this time I had A.D.D which made it hard. Sophomore year my A.D.D became worse and I ended up with mostly D's but I really screwed up second semester of sophomore year with almost all F's . Junior year end of first semester I got mostly F's again ;(. (Family problems and things make it hard for me to work at home and I have no library near by) . My second semester is coming up and I'm planning on getting all A's no matter how late I have to stay up to do homework. I also do soccer and track for extra curricular. I'm planning on volunteering senior year and also getting all A's. Do u think ill make it to college? What can I do? Can the army help with college and things? Because if I don't get into college im going for the army. Thank you in advance. Please don't be harsh :/

Favorite Answer

You can get into the Army/military with ADD, but not if you are currently displaying symptoms of ADD, and not if you've taken ADD meds in the past year. So if you can overcome your ADD in your senior year of college, and prove that by bringing your grades up, you'll have a shot at the Army. But if you're on ADD meds now and they're helping you, do *not* go off them. Because to get into the Army, you'd need to give them a year of good grades in HS without meds; and if the meds are the only way you can get good grades... well, then you'll go to college! There are a ton of colleges that will accept you, even if you can't get your grades up to perfect As.

Any community college will accept you, no problem. In addition, there are many universities/four year schools that would accept you. I don't know where you live, so I can't tell you specific ones you might like, but some examples include Cambridge College, Freed-Hardeman, Goddard College, Granite State College, Missouri Western State, Nyack College, Northwest Florida State, Mountain State U, Oklahoma Panhandle State, U Houston Downtown, Weber State, Wayne State, and many, many more.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. Many colleges will be understanding about what has happened, especially if you are able to bring up your grades in the next semesters. Most universities have a disability resource center and free mental health counseling, so you would be able to get extra time on tests and possibly even have someone assigned to take notes for you. It is all done very discreetly and professionally to avoid embarrassment. That being said, the first things schools look at is GPA, so this is not to say that you won't get in. Just keep in mind that some of the highly competitive schools won't be as understanding. I think you would have a pretty good shot for a community college or vocational school or could write a carefully written personal statement when applying to universities to increase your chances. Talk to a favorite teacher at your high school about what to put in and what to leave out of the essays, they will have experience with this sort of thing.

Here is a quick story -

When I was in 9th grade of high school I dropped out. I then continued my education through home-schooling (which was a complete joke) and I received my high school diploma (not GED) when I was 16 years old, not because I'm some kind of genius but because like I said..the homeschooling program was a joke. I started college at 18 and have had a 3.7 GPA since. I have no actual high school education or background, but getting into college was simple. Don't let everything you hear about college scare you. Unless you plan on going to Harvard or something, I wouldn't worry to much about it, I'm sure that you will get into college with no problems. And if you are interested in going to the Army, they will help you with continuing your education if that's what you want. Good luck with everything and don't worry so much. Worrying doesn't get you anywhere :)

School is hard. But you really need to push yourself. It really depends on the college, but just apply a lot of places. Because some have higher standards then others. As far as the army? They have their own private academies, but will help pay for some public ones. Just ask questions