Dad very short tempered/memory loss due to long stay in hospital?

Dad been in hospital almost 5 weeks...he has secondary bowel cancer but his latest stay is due to his leg hurting ALOT and therefore was unable to walk, get to the toilet on time etc. It turns out that he has avascular necrosis of the femur which could be due to the intense chemo he has been having. I think the... show more Dad been in hospital almost 5 weeks...he has secondary bowel cancer but his latest stay is due to his leg hurting ALOT and therefore was unable to walk, get to the toilet on time etc. It turns out that he has avascular necrosis of the femur which could be due to the intense chemo he has been having. I think the duration of the stay in hospital has made him really short tempered with my poor mum but his memory is getting really bad. Is this normal?? I'm sure if he was to go back home this would in time go way....at least i hope it would. Yesterday we were given the option by the doctors to go forward with a hip replacement which they have offered with the possibility that he may not fully recover....OR carry on with pain management and see how he gets on. But to me the option of not going forward seems silly as pain management will only make the problem worse and make him more bed bound. They live in a small terraced house with no downstairs loo/bathroom so we've got all those issues to contend with if he comes home. He is only 65.

Any professional/ personal experiences that may help us.

Thank you all so much. Its so heartbreaking to see your parents slowly deteriorate before your eyes.