What does it mean to wear clean underwear in case you get into an accident?

I nvr understood this

Favorite Answer

My mom used to say this, or she would say 'wear clean underwear in case you get sick' - basically, the idea being that if you got into an accident and had to go the ER you wouldn't want to be wearing ratty old embarrassing underwear in case you had to wear a gown and then the nurses or doctor would see them.

Which is kind of funny when you think about it...instead of simply saying to 'drive safe' or 'be careful' they tell us to wear clean underwear because God forbid the worst thing that could ever happen to you is have somebody see your dingy old panties lol.

Wear Clean Underwear

It basically means that you should wear clean underwear so that if you had to go to the hospital, you wouldn t be embarrassed to have someone at the hospital see your dirty underwear, or for them to have the distaste in seeing your dirty underwear. As I get older (I m a 55 year old man now) I ve often heard it said that we should carry an extra pair of clean underwear in case we have an accident...

It means put on clean underwear in case you get in an accident. Because if you have to be taken to the hospital you don't want the nurses or doctors to see stains in you underwear.

The flaw in all of these answers lies in the fact that if you are in a car accident it is entirely likely you will no longer have clean underwear.

There is probably not an adult alive that was not admonished by their mother to make sure they always wore clean, non-ragged, underwear in case they were in an accident. Heaven forbid if you got your leg cut off and had on dirty “drawers.”

You can see what happens when you don’t listen to your Mama.