Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 years ago

Was I wrongfully sued for a 50/50 accident with full coverage insurance?

A little fender bender in Colorado in which nobody was hurt except the kids little neon. After USAA investigated the accident, they determined that nobody was at fault and therefore denied payment of $1218. Shortly after this event, I was sued by the drivers sister who apparently owned the car! I freaked out and called USAA who told me they would take care of everything. At the time, I quickly called Experian and Equifax and explained the situation as a wrongful suit. Good to go right? Now, 6 years later, Trans-union is still reporting this as a public record. Is this right? Do I have a right to get this removed from my credit report? Please help! I did file a report through Trans-union and they came back with the same public record but before I submit a 100 word written explanation, I would love some helpful feedback! Thanks!

USAA settled the suit on my behalf...They paid $1218! The most I truly know is that I got a letter from USAA that said they would represent me in this case. The only reason I know that it was settled is because I called the individual who sued me to let her know it isn't officially closed. Apparently this record is still "unsatisfied" because she failed to have a signature notarized on the court documents. She did send me a letter explaining that the judgment was settled by my insurance. She also apologized and said she would look into finalizing this judgment on her end. Did she have a right to sue me instead of my insurance in the first place?!

The court documents I ordered state that the settlement has been paid and the case closed but it is still "unsatisfied". Confusing...

• q S
    Favorite Answer

You are missing a few details.

- You were involved in a crash and were required to call the police.

- The police completed an accident report.

- USAA agreed with the police report and felt you were not liable for the claim.

- You were notified of a law suit and a subpoena to appear in court.

- You and USAA went to court and fought the suit?

or

- You refused to go to court and a summary judgement was issued against you.

- The summary judgement is still on your credit report until you pay it.