Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Have question about drywood termites!?

I noticed termite droppings along one wall in my master bedroom. I had a pest control company come out 2 years ago and they injected poison into the wall. The employee told me that if the termites eat the poison and take it back to the queen, its possible that this spot treatment may eradicate the entire colony. I have not seen any termites, or any new termite droppings since that time. Does that mean the termites were probably all killed? Do you have to be really lucky to have a spot treatment work as opposed to tenting thr house, or is localized treatment sometimes really that effective? Only reason i ask is so i can put my mind at ease that they're really gone, or if i need to continue to worry.

You're lucky to have two good answers already (except that drywoods don't track from the ground like Peter suggests). Drywoods mostly have little colonies of a few hundred termites at maturity but they make up for that by being able to have hundreds of colonies in one house and you need to kill every one Spot treatments are a real risk since you can never be sure that you've found them all and U Cal studies have shown that nothing beats a whole-structure fumigation. Check out http://drdons.net/search/node/drywood for some info on dealing with drywoods.

Just for the peace of mind it will bring you I suggest you hire a professional to do a thorough inspection. When it comes to the structural integrity of your home this is something best left to the professionals. Won't you sleep better at night once you have a "clean" report from a pro?

Good Luck!