How do you feel about Republicans seeking unlimited donations directly from Corporations?

In a brief filed yesterday in the Fourth Circuit, the RNC argues that the federal ban on corporate donations is unconstitutional in large part because it applies across the board to all corporations.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/01/11/402358...

The Cons didn't say anything about Campaign finance disclosure. They are seeking unlimited donations directly to Politicians directly from Corporations. Thoughts?

Update:

The Republican Party is seeking to remove even the slightest obstruction between politics and business. Corporations are not people. END CORPORATE PERSONHOOD.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • DR
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If Republicans are really seeking that, then it is just typical behavior for them. Republicans favor the rich and powerful, and willingly cater to them.

This news item you've presented to us reminds me of an idea I had recently.

People blame the money, the two main political parties, the lobbyists, the PACs, the corporate interests, etc. But if you really trace the problem back to its source, those are not the root problem. The voters themselves are.

The way some people talk about campaign finance makes it sound like it's literally impossible for voters to consider a candidate who does not have tons of advertising and endorsements. That is not true, especially because voters can use Google to easily learn about all the available candidates, and give them equal consideration. But it will be impossible if voters don't bother to look.

Many voters only consider the candidates placed right in front of them by the mainstream corporate-owned media, even though most of those candidates got the money to make themselves visible by taking legal bribes (campaign contributions) from organizations that seek some special benefit. And then they complain about how the politicians they elect answer to the interests whose money made those candidates visible. Candidates like Ron Paul, who attract lots of individual donors and don't need special interest groups' money, are the exception.

The most remarkable aspect of all this is how trivially easy it would be for voters to defeat the legalized corruption of campaign finance, if voters decided to act collectively across party lines. By looking at less publicized candidates, and rejecting out of hand any candidate who takes any form of influence buying, and supporting candidates who promise to give no benefit to super-PAC donors, we could render that influence money powerless.

Most voters would not vote for a candidate who had been convicted of political bribery, no matter how "electable" he/she is or what his/her policy positions are. So why vote for any candidate who accepts legal bribes in the form of special interest money?

It's satisfying to deny consent to the existing system by voting that way, but that's not the main motive.

There's a saying: "In every democracy, the people get the government they deserve". We're getting abused because we choose the wrong representatives. It's our fault, and it's our responsibility to change that.

There's also a saying in business: "Management is always to blame." In a republic, the voters are the topmost level of management, because they choose the politicians.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I support amending the Constitution. In the proposal in this link, I don't care at all about Section 1, but I fully support the whole thing because I support the rest of it.

http://movetoamend.org

I hope I never see any political ad on TV for the rest of my life.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

One thing is certain -- the surest way to bring jobs back to America by unwinding the last 20 years of Federal Regulations.

• 9 years ago

Its the only way they can compete with the millions of individuals who contribute to the Democrats.

republicans are too stingy and cheap to donate to their candidates.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

its free speech...did this site mention who was the largest single recipient of corporate donations in 2008?if not,he's our current president...http://articles.nydailynews.com/2008-06-30/news/17...

• 9 years ago

Wow, With this you can buy the white house.

So, How is that freedom?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Obama already did that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.